Next 3 meetings:
- Mon, Dec 11 at 7:00 PM -- Online only: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86125147556
- Mon, Jan 8 at 7:00 PM -- Town Hall & online: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85720560676?pwd=bThuajB1LzFWTG9ndU51WUhGZks1QT09
- Mon, Feb 12 at 7:00 PM -- Town Hall & online: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85720560676?pwd=bThuajB1LzFWTG9ndU51WUhGZks1QT09
8 of 8 seats. 2 years each seat.
- Carole Desanti, Member. October, 2024.
- Edie Field, Honorary.
- Susan Mareneck, Chair. 2024.
- Anne Schuyler. 2023.
- Sara Robinson. 2023.
- Susan Lynton. 2023.
- Ann Tweedy. 2024.
- Eva Gibavic. 2024.
In accordance with Massachusetts State Law* the Leverett Historical Commission’s mandate is to identify, protect, preserve anddevelop the material evidence of Leverett’s historical assets.
Theseassets encompass the entire historic and cultural landscape: our architectural, aesthetic, agricultural, cultural, economic, political and social history; and the unique heritage of Leverett.This may include geological and archeological sitesand artifacts, the architectural or built environment; and social, cultural, and industrial practicesProtection and preservation of our historic inventory, which includes indigenous sites, as Leverett is located on or near the ancestral lands of the Pocumtuck, Nonotuck, and Nipmuc people.
The activities of the Historical Commission include, but are not limited to the following:
- To identify, research and inventory historical assets
- To evaluate and advise on restoration, preservation, rehabilitation and reuse of historic assets
- To educate, engage, and promote knowledge of Leverett historical assets through interpretive programs, documentation, and communityoutreach
- To develop and assist in preservation planning partnering with other town committeesorganizations and private residents
- To be an active participant in town planning processes and to advise town boards, committees, departments, and administration in matters relating to historic preservation, including any proposed alteration, destruction, or relocation of historical assets.
- To review, recommend,and regulate as authorized incurrent bylawsor to propose new bylaws.
- To facilitate access to historical public records
- To explore funding and grant opportunities in support of the above
It is the Historic Commissions belief that the distinct character of Leverett today is shaped by its past that our history helps inform Leverett’s identity and can provide a guide to it’s future.
*The Leverett Historical Commission was created by act of Town Meeting in 1973 under the authority of Massachusetts General Laws, Part I, Title VII, Chapter 40, section 8D
Jenn Doherty, Massachusetts Historical Commission,
Local Government Program Coordinator
Presentation to Leverett on
"Secretary of the Interior Standards for Restoration, Preservation, Reconstruction and Rehabilitation"*
* Standards required for any project using Community Preservation Act funding
A SENSE OF WHERE YOU ARE SERIES
Finding and Interpreting Leverett's Industrial Heritage in the Landscape
December 1st 2022: Virtual Visit to Leverett's Charcoal Kiln and Charcoal Industry
Watch the recording here: Recording of the Presentation
This virtual visit to the Charcoal Kiln happened on December 1, 2022.
A video of the April zoom visit
to the Graves' Ironworks
on the Sawmill River in North Leverett
can be viewed at
A video of the October zoom visit
to the Slarrow Sawmill on North Leverett Road
can be viewed at
Volunteers cleared Leverett's historic town pound landmark this summer!
Link to a Youtube 3D video is: https://youtu.be/
Read the report on findings from the 2017-18 Historical Assets Survey -
Charcoal Kiln (coke kilns)
The Historical Commission, with grants from Mass Humanities (Research Inventory Grant), Community Preservation Commisstion, and Boston Public Library, is proud to release the first of many volumes of records from the Town of Leverett vault. Please feel free to browse.
- Massachusetts Historical Commission
- Leverett Historical Society
- Leverett Family Museum Preservation Survey
- Grave Matters
- Rattlesnake Gutter Trust
- Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 07:00 PM -- Town Hall & online: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85720560676?pwd=bThuajB1LzFWTG9ndU51WUhGZks1QT09
- Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 07:00 PM -- Town Hall & online: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85720560676?pwd=bThuajB1LzFWTG9ndU51WUhGZks1QT09
- Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 07:00 PM -- Online only - https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86125147556
- Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 07:00 PM -- Town Hall & online: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85720560676?pwd=bThuajB1LzFWTG9ndU51WUhGZks1QT09
- Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 06:30 PM -- Historic Assets Yearly Review - meet in person 6:30pm at Field Library/Museum (outside)
- Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 06:00 PM -- Historic Assets Yearly Review - meet in person 6pm at Field Library/Museum (outside)
- Show 81 More...