

Bradford M. Field Memorial Library Ad Hoc Committee Meeting Minutes  
March 30, 2023

Present: Richard Nathhorst, Maureen Ippolito, Silas Ball, Anne Schuyler, Judy Todd, Kathy and Van Stoddard, Sara Robinson

Absent: Ann Ferguson, Kari Ridge, Don Robinson

Visiting: Tanya Cushman, Carol Heim

Pat Duffy did not attend the meeting.

Richard: I just heard from Don and Sara and they are not able to make the meeting tonight. I'm glad we have a quorum. Can I have a motion to accept the amended minutes from March 16th. Motion was made by Van, seconded by Silas, and passed with a unanimous vote. Okay, thank you all that's the first piece of business done. Do we have anybody who has some information on the public meeting planning at this point or shall we pass over that?

Richard asked about the public meeting, this was passed over because Kari and Ann were not present.

Richard is making progress on the AdHoc committee website. We will be seeing progress on that.

Richard: I do have some updates from the consultants. We have received and forwarded on to Margie and the SPED process. (Sara Robinson joined the meeting) Within a month we will have a report on the wetlands delineation and the Title 5 work from Tighe and Bond. That is really good news, we've got the information underway so that is  $\frac{2}{3}$  of our consultants' charge. I have been working diligently on the architectural and the historic architectural aspect of that. I have been in conversation with a couple of different people on the guidelines for that work and we are making some progress on that. We've got the guidelines from the Commonwealth of Mass Historic Commission and the federal government. I am waiting for one more document and we are going to get that RFP out on the street. We have a number of good people that can give us proposals on that, so that is good news. I also have some wonderful news that we have on the warrant at the spring town meeting \$1,000 for oil for the Field Building to heat it up and dry it out. In the meantime, Tom Hankinson and I are going to pitch in and put some oil in the tank. So, that is nice news and that will help get the building dried out a bit and that's really good news.

Maureen: Well thanks for doing that Richard, that is nice of you.

Richard: Tom is willing to do it and I'm willing to do it and then the fact that we are putting \$1,000 is a major step. Maureen you did a wonderful job at the Select Board meeting. I can't thank you enough, it was so nice to have another member of the committee there to make that statement. I will tell you that I think that the fact that you did that probably carried the day. I think that if I had just proposed that it would have probably not gone anywhere.

Maureen: I'm glad you were there to answer all the questions they had.

Richard: I think that it was a good question and I think that the precedent that we have set there, that the town is in fact taking responsibility for the building. The oil is the first step but it's a good step and the fact that that is established is a really good thing. The other thing that I did was that everyone pretty much unanimously at the last meeting asked me about taking some action on getting some of the professionals working on the new site proposal at the municipal campus on Montague Road and so I took that to both Margie McGinnis, who suggested that I contact Daniella at the CPA and I contacted Daniella and she wrote back to me and said "no, you don't have permission to do that yet and that was not in our original scope and we don't want you to spend money or go any further with the new site until everything is done in your current scope of work" Then we'll put a new proposal together and go back to the put a new proposal to the CPA if that is what we are going to do. So, that is nice because it sorts out that question and I'm really happy that the committee asked me to do that and I'm really happy that we got an answer from CPA on it. It settles that issue in the proper way and I think it's nice. We asked and they are aware that we asked that and they've asked us to wait and so we wait and we can move on with the rest of our business. That's, I think, pretty good news. All and all I'm really happy because we are making such progress on the consulting issues and getting things done. I think that this committee has come together really well and we are acting in unison on a number of fronts and I think we are impressing people that we are getting the job done. So that is the update on the consultants. The next thing is proposed uses for the Field Building.

Maureen: So, I just have a question. When you get the report from Tighe and Bond and it includes Title 5, is that where they decide whether that property can have a septic or not?

Richard: That is correct.

Maureen: So we will have that information really soon.

Richard: Basically, they are going to establish, and that is critical for that, they will go out and do the vegetation survey and the endangered species survey and establish where the wetlands boundary is. That will tell us how much of the site is usable. We've already established with the site survey the locations of the adjacent wells, adjacent water bodies, and other things that will have to be taken into consideration in the Title 5 evaluation of the site. Once they've delineated the wetlands and see if they come out where the surveyor picked it off the P Map or whether it moves and once that is done and the engineer evaluates it we will know what we can do. Then the next thing we have to do is to evaluate the building for its historical aspects and evaluate the

building for its structural and maintenance aspects which needs to be done by a licensed architect. Once we have all that done, we'll be able to sit down as a committee and make some recommendations based on the facts and that is nice.

Kathy: I think what we've found out is that we've been guided towards a step-by-step process. Don't go further than the current site until we have all the information?

Richard: Basically. We still have the three decisions. Moving it is still one of the decisions but they don't want us to start looking at other sites until we finish what we are doing. I don't think that is a bad idea. It will take a little longer, but they don't seem to have a problem with that. I do think that it makes it cleaner and it's basically the direction that we are going and I didn't want to overreach. They did say we should talk with the library and I am going to do that. We've talked with the school committee and that is as far as they want us to go. My guess is that we'll get this done reasonably soon, probably by mid-summer we can wrap it up and then take the next step. It is working out well because we are coming out on the optimum time to do that wetlands delineation, this is the perfect time to do it. As all the wetlands vegetation comes out, they will be able to identify it and draw that line for us. They have the certified survey so they've got everything they need to get it done.

Van: Will that delineation include the floodplain issues? ??

Richard: Yes, a number of people have mentioned floodplain issues and things like that and also the fact that there seems to be a good possibility that that is a flowing marsh, that water actually moves through that marsh and flows into the pond. That changes its Title 5 considerations substantially and they will establish that. What we will get at the end of that is a Yes/No. If it is a yes, we will look at a perc test, and we've got that lined up. Basically, Mr. Potochniak, Principal at Tighe and Bond, and handling some other things for the Town of Leverett said that we shouldn't do the perc test until we know that there is a reason to do so. He said basically that they don't like doing perc tests until they have established the wetlands because it affects where they would do the perc test. I'm happy with that, that is in professional hands and I think it's in hands where we won't have anyone in town likely to question the competence and the authority and the impartiality of Tighe and Bond. They are pretty well established and a very reputable firm. I think that is important on this, that this be work done with no question of integrity. So I think that it is good. Any other questions of where we are?

Van: Should we keep meeting every two weeks if we aren't going to get the delineation for a month?

Richard: That is a good question. I think, based on the attendance tonight, that we are suffering from meeting fatigue. Do we want to put the next meeting off to the latter part of April? One thing I should do is look at the calendar. We have the town meeting on April 29th, but basically the 250th BBQ meeting is on April 6th so I think we want to skip that. We've got the 13th, 20th, and the 27th open. What do you think you guys would like?

Kathy: Are we going to send, distribute, or make any communication to the town meeting?

Richard: I will be prepared to give an interim report if they ask. They haven't asked yet. I think that they're considering that we are doing a good job on gathering the data and that we aren't done. I think that they'd like us to put it off. They've got a lot of things on the warrant. I think that (Here's Anne coming in, she said she'd try to come in) As I said, I would be happy to give them a report. (greeted Anne)

Van: But there is not much chance we'll have the delineation before town meeting?

Richard: I don't think so. When he got the proposal done, I read it, and it was good and I got it for Margie. The wheels have got to turn. They may be working on it before the town meeting. I'm almost certain they will be working on it before the town meeting, but I don't think it will be done. It's going to take a month or so to work it all up. But, if the town meeting asks for an update, we have a good update to give them. I am going to make a board mount of the print of the site plan for the site and have it there for town meeting and put it on display so people can come up and look at it and say, okay here's what it looks like. I'll have a couple of copies of the two deeds so people can look at the deeds and look at the site survey. It is really interesting, I had a long talk with Eva about it, she asked me to share it with her and I did. Eva thought it was good, she was pleased with it. It matched what she thought it should have been. She's happy with the fact that we put in some steel posts on that property for the boundaries and it's all laid out and there is no question anymore. Everybody that sees it looks at the original plot of the tiny little postage stamp of land that this building is on and are amazed. I think that's good too because it helps people understand just what the situation is at that site.

Van: So what about the meetings?

Richard: When do you want to do it guys? We can do the 13th, the 20th, or the 27th.

Maureen: The parade meeting is the 25th. Personally, I don't care. I don't think I have any conflicts.

Van: My question really was, do we have a reason to meet?

Richard: I don't think we need to meet in two weeks, but I think we should meet in April at least once because I should have a lot more progress on the architectural work and I think we want to share that information because everybody is interested in the historic architectural evaluation of the building. So I think that is important.

Van: So when do you think we'll have that?

Richard: I'm hoping, if everything goes well, I'm hoping to have that by the 20th or the 27th but it's safer to go with the 27th.

Van: Then let's go with the safer date being on the 27th.

Richard: Is everybody good with that, do we want to make a motion?

Anne: Is this an extra meeting or an insight meeting? What are you talking about?

Richard: You notice that there are a number of people not here tonight. Everybody is busy and suffering a bit of meeting fatigue. Several people asked me to cancel tonight's meeting and I said I didn't think we should cancel tonight, but I understood if people weren't going to be able to make it. I think it might make sense to not meet every two weeks in April and just have one meeting and see if we can have some more information.

Anne: Somebody refresh my memory, when is town meeting?

Richard: Town meeting is the 29th which is a Saturday. (Richard checked the town calendar to verify when town meeting was)

Anne: Do we as a committee have a deliverable for Town Meeting, like a status report?

Richard: No, I can give them an update if they ask for it. So far, they haven't asked for it. The only thing we have right now for town meeting is that we have \$1,000 worth of oil for the Field Building to dry it out a little bit. And that is really outstanding. We aren't done. I can give them an interim report and as I said I am going to try to have a board mounted version of the site survey and the text of the two deeds so that people can read the deeds and look at the site survey and be amazed.

Kathy: Be informed.

Richard: So, what do you think? Can we have somebody pick a date?

Silas: 27th. (someone else said the 27th)

Richard: I take it that is a motion and a second. All those in favor? Unanimous vote. Alright, we've got a meeting set.

Kathy: I can't join on the 27th, but I'm just one person.

Richard: Do we have any other business or shall we call it a night? Tanya, we can entertain the guests at this point and Carol if you have something to speak to. Go ahead Tanya.

Tanya: I was just wondering how much the delineation is costing?

Richard: \$6,900.00.

Tanya: Thanks

Richard: Carol do you have anything for us? Alright, then I guess I will make a motion to adjourn.

Silas and Van seconded. Unanimous vote.

Richard: Alright, see you guys on the 27th and thank you very much for turning out tonight and we'll keep you posted.