

Bradford M. Field Memorial Library Ad Hoc Committee Meeting Minutes  
March 16, 2023

Present: Richard Nathhorst, Ann Ferguson, Maureen Ippolito, Silas Ball, Kari Ridge, Anne Schuyler, Don and Sara Robinson, Judy Todd, Kathy and Van Stoddard

Absent:

Visiting: Pat Duffy, Tanya Cushman, Carol Heim, Macaylla Silver

Richard called the meeting to order at 7:33 pm. A discussion took place about the recent snowstorm.

Richard reminded everyone that we are recording the meeting. We have a quorum so we can come to order. I want to thank Maureen and Judy for their wonderful effort of getting the minutes out. (there was a conversation between Richard and Tanya Cushman about her getting the minutes) The minutes were sent to Tanya Cushman by Lisa Stratford.

A motion was made to accept the minutes from the March 2, 2023. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.

Richard stated again that guests' comments are welcome at the end of the meeting tonight.

Richard let everyone know that the registered survey plan for 1 Shutesbury Road is registered at the Registry of Deeds. He took the plan and check from Margie for \$105.00 up to the Registry of Deeds and it is a public document. We should have the finished proposal by the beginning of next week on the wetlands delineation, environment, endangered species survey and the Title 5 evaluation, moving forward with Tighe & Bond. That is good news and he got all that worked out with Margie and we are making progress and I am talking with Kerry Dietz of Dietz and Company on a historical and structural survey of the building. So we are getting to the point of where we are going to have all our documents in place and we've also arranged at the appropriate time, and if it's appropriate, we will do a percolation test but we need to do the Title 5 survey first.

Ann F: Richard, could you just say again the name of the company you approached about the historical survey of the building?

Richard: Dietz and Company and Kerry Dietz is the principal architect. She has a very excellent reputation on historical building surveys and I think it's going to work out very nicely. I think the next issue up on the agenda is the public meetings. I wonder if we can have a report from the subcommittee on where we are standing on that.

Ann F: Yes, so actually Kari and I just briefly discussed this. One thing that seems to me would be good for us while we are waiting for all of the results of these factual studies is for us to go ahead and have some volunteers to start writing the drafts of the three options we want to present at the public meetings. Moving the library and keeping it as town property, keeping it as town property in the site it's in, and keeping it in the site it's in and selling it to the non-profit. So those are the three options. I think if we can assign that to some specific people in this meeting today it would be helpful. Remember, we have agreed that whatever the script that they come up with, these individuals, we need to pass it by the committee and we all need to agree on it. So the idea would be, perhaps the best idea would be to get a volunteer for each of the options that really supports that option and have them write out all the pros for that option and then we can see that and then people who want to write the cons for that option can be, after they see the pros then they can work on the draft for the cons for each option. So that's kind of my proposal that we consider who that might be. I'd like to have that open for discussion. I think that if we, my kind of reason for it is that it will take some time to write these drafts and for all of us to agree. In writing the drafts we will see what other facts we need to come up with to give the pros and cons of each position. So for example, if I'm thinking of writing the move to the library complex position, obviously what we don't know is what the library board of trustees would think about that.

Richard: We've got a meeting set up with them.

Ann F: But I'm thinking that that meeting motivates the person who is writing that draft to go "oh, we need these facts before we can begin this line of thought". I think it would just be a good thing for us to do as a committee as the next step.

Richard: My one comment on it is that I think that the person that is writing the pros on any given subject also writes the cons. I think that there needs to be one person that is analyzing that, both pros and cons and I think that obviously the whole committee can comment on it but I don't think that we should deprive the people who are writing these things of doing both sides of it.

Kari: We can also do it in teams so it's just not one person doing each of the three options. It could be a team of two or even three people working on it together.

Richard: Right, we just don't want to make it too complicated to get done. Kathryn, I think you wanted to speak.

Kathryn: I think when we talked about it previously, we had envisioned that the pros and the cons would be presented together.

Ann F: I was just thinking that it would be easier for those real advocates to write the pros and the people on the committee who disagree could chime in with the cons. I'm certainly open to revising my idea for that and having teams that would write the pros and cons of each position.

Richard: Okay, Don and Sara, I see your hand up.

Don: From my perspective, I'm certainly willing to write up the option of keeping the building where it is.

Kathryn: Pros and cons?

Don: Sure. I'll have to scratch my head to think of the cons, but yes, pros and cons.

Ann F. I would be willing to be on the team, because I like that idea of a team, to keeping it town property and move it to the library complex.

Richard: I will definitely volunteer for heading up the move group.

Maureen: So Don, are you going to write up the one that it stays where it is and we sell it to a non-profit or it stays where it is and the town owns it?

Don: I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other whether the town keeps it or a non-profit gets it so probably cover that in one document.

Ann F. Well, we have the two options so I think we should have two different teams writing. One that it stays on the same site and the town owns it, and one that it stays on the same site and it's sold to a non-profit. Those are two different options.

Don: I could volunteer to be on the team that handles both of them.

Richard: Well, what we are saying is that we are not going to have one team handle both of them, they are going to have a team handle each option. We've got three options, we'll have three teams.

Don: I understand that, I'm just saying I'm willing to be on both teams.

Ann F: Okay, either one.

Richard: Okay, Silas and Maureen.

Silas: It's just me. That actually just confused me and I apologize that I don't have Ann's three options written right here in front of me but that's not how I understood it because that actually leads me to believe that there are actually four options. Move it to the new library and sell it to a non-profit. Move it to the new library and let the town own it. Leave it where it is and let the town own. Leave it where it is and sell it to a non-profit. So that just confused me.

Richard: The move does not involve selling it to a non-profit.

Silas: Then why does the stationary option? See where that can be a little confusing? Can you just go over the three different options again?

Richard: Alright, the three options are the town retains ownership and it gets moved to the municipal campus. The second option is that it remains in place and the town retains ownership

of it. The third option is that it be sold to a non-profit or sold period because they probably can't stipulate that it's a non-profit. It probably would go to auction.

Anne S: That's an important point though and I don't know how we solve it, is whether or not you say we are going to sell it to a non-profit or you just sell it.

Silas: The selling it option, I don't think, involves anywhere near the thought process as the town keeping it where it is and bringing it up to code option. I can see what some of you are saying, but I think that they are totally different. Selling it as it is, boom, that is the end of the conversation. We don't have to worry about parking, we don't have to worry about water, sewer, dehumidifier. Just, boom, for sale.

Richard: That is correct. If it's sold it's not the town's problem and not this committee's issue.

Silas: I feel that that option doesn't need much of a write-up.

Richard: No we have to write up all three options and the principles for it and against it.

Ann F. Just to speak to your point Silas, we had talked about that third option of selling it with a caveat that it would be sold to someone that would keep it as an archive, as a museum, and possibly add diverse exhibits. We can have various caveats as to who the seller would have to oblige by. We probably can't, be law, say a specific non-profit but we could put caveats in and we had all talked about that because we've all been discussing how we want to acknowledge its historical importance.

Silas: I believe that more deed restrictions should be put on it in that fashion, correct.

Ann F: So we would be adding some caveats, it wouldn't just be sold.

Richard: To the extent that it's legally possible.

Ann F: Right, and that's what we said.

Anne S: And we don't know that answer yet, right?

Richard: No, we don't. I have made the request of the town counsel that they give us an opinion on that and that has not happened as yet as far as I know.

Kathy: I just wanted to ask if it is sold, is there an option that it would be sold at market value?

Richard: I think it can only be sold at market value, from what Margie told me. It would go to auction and then the highest bidder would win it.

Kathy: So, previously it was a \$1.00 transaction.

Ann F: We aren't doing that.

Kathy: It would be more than \$1.00.

Richard: That seems to be the way the State of Massachusetts law dictates the legalities of selling town property, public property. I have asked for town counsel's research on that.

Don: As I mentioned before, we did have a previous article passed and that did have an amendment to it such that as I mentioned last time that if it is in fact sold it has to follow the restrictions and if it doesn't it reverts back to the town.

Richard: That, however, has expired.

Don: I asked about the legality of that and I was told that it was a perfectly legal article by the town counsel.

Richard: As I said, I've asked for clarification on that because the last time I talked with Margie she was not sure of that.

Don: She told me she was.

Richard: Can't help it. I know what I heard. At any rate, it behooves us to get the town counsel to tell us what we can and can't do.

Maureen: This whole selling it to the non-profit (Was having trouble with her internet and we kept losing her) If the article on the town warrant was relating to the Historical Society I'm questioning this whole selling it option now if we are finding out now that this whole selling the building has to be at market value. I thought that the only option was that the historical society wanted to buy it. So now I'm questioning if we should even recommend it being sold as an option because we have no idea who will want to buy it to protect the building.

Richard: That is precisely why I asked for legal clarification.

Maureen: In terms of how much it has to be sold for?

Richard: How much it has to be sold for, how it gets sold, does it go to public auction, are there bids? We need to understand the mechanism and I absolutely agree that we need to understand that mechanism. I don't want to take hearsay from a non-lawyer on it. I want to hear it from the town counsel.

Ann F. Did you ask the town counsel?

Richard: I asked Margie to ask the town counsel.

Ann F: So there is a process then. Is the town counsel being asked whether we can put a caveat in if it's sold at market value, whether we can have it up for \$1.00 and have caveats?

Richard: That is all part of what we've asked to be explored.

Sara: I'm speaking to what Maureen is asking. The restrictions in the past would be such, and maybe in the present would be such that no one but a non-profit would want to own it. That is why the \$1.00 came up for the Historical Society to buy it in the past. That may be the case again if the restrictions were such that it was going to be a museum, it's going to have the artifacts and have programs there, maybe no one else wants to buy it. That's why the Historical Society was interested.

Richard: It's not clear that we can do that. The building has value, it's assessed.

Anne S: At what, Richard, do you know?

Richard: I can look it up if you give me a couple of minutes. I've got it in a document here. The point is that the taxpayers have a right to fair market value. I'm pretty certain that that is in state law, so if it went to auction that would be to that end and I'm pretty certain that codicils in the deed like you are discussing are hard to enforce. This is why we need to hear the lawyer tell us what we can do.

Don: We do have the precedence of the Moore's Corner Schoolhouse which was sold for \$1.00 to the Leverett Historical Society.

Anne S: Who sold it Don?

Don: The town owned it obviously as a schoolhouse.

Ann F: I remember the history differently. I thought that the owners sold it to the Leverett Historical Society. Was I mistaken about that?

Don: It came from the Town of Leverett.

Richard: Originally it did. But was it owned by the town at the time?

Ann F: I don't think so. I think it had another owner.

Richard: That's what I thought too. But I don't know for sure.

Don: We can verify that.

Ann F: And then there were the codicils passed between the town and the Leverett Historical Society saying it had to be used for certain purposes, etc., etc. That was not about the ownership. As I understand it, the original owner was not the town and that they sold it to the Leverett Historical Society for a small amount of money and then there was a memo of understanding, an agreement, with the town and the Historical Society about various things. I don't remember what they said. I mean, you guys probably know, Don and Sara.

Sara: It was my understanding the Town owned it because it was a schoolhouse and they sold it to the group of people who formed themselves as the Leverett Historical Society and then when they received CPC money there were restrictions but on it that are overseen by the Historic Commission.

Ann F: We should look back at that history.

Richard: Yeah, I can do a Registry of Deeds search and find out how it was conveyed. It had not been a schoolhouse for a long time. I think it's very possible that somebody else might have owned it.

Ann F: I think that's what happened and then it got sold back to the Leverett Historical Society for some small amount and then there was some codicil with the town about how it was to be used.

Richard: We need to explore that. That is part of the effort here. I'm looking up the assessment while we talk. Who else would like to speak on this?

Anne S: The third option needs to be selling with a Part A and a Part B. The townspeople are going to ask "why can we just sell it on the open market? We don't care who buys it" People will ask that, so that option has to have two parts. Part A, which is selling it. Part B which is selling it with restrictions to a designated non-profit if that is legal. So obviously, we don't know that yet.

Richard: Right, we've all got to work on that. I will try to push getting the town counsel to do that. Obviously, town counsel does charge for that but we should be able to get that done. This is important business.

Kari: I'm just wondering if we should hold off on writing the scripts until we have some of these other pieces. It made sense before to get started just to get momentum going but we are lacking some very critical information like this.

Richard: That is why we are having this discussion to determine that. I think you are right, we don't have the information to go forth and finalize it but we have clearly uncovered that we need that information and we'll start working on compiling it. It's just like I've got to start talking to the folks at the library about where it will be sited, which is not on library property. It's on a piece of land that is neither the playing field nor the library parcel.

Kari: Can you speak to that a little more because every time I drive by I try to picture "where would it go?"

Richard: You know where the nature trail takes off? Basically, right in there.

Kari: Okay, and that's not library property?

Richard: It's town property but it is not a part of the library parcel. Quite frankly, we'd have to go forward and do the survey and do the other work that would site it once we know we are going

further in that direction. We can make some general statements at this point but nobody has been out there with a rod and transfer doing a survey yet.

Silas: How did that spot get decided on? Who picked that spot? I must have missed that meeting.

Richard: I picked the spot and I picked it because of the fact that it was not on the library property and not on the playing field and at a good location that is reasonably high and dry and would be in close vicinity to the library itself. You can blame me for that. I picked the site. I think it's an excellent site and other people on this committee have looked at it and like it.

Ann F: So, on Silas's question before. If we are considering these options, for example, that we need Part A and Part B on the selling option, maybe we ought to consider Part A and Part B on the moving near to the library site because it is quite possible there could be an option of moving it and selling it to a non-profit at another site.

Richard: That would involve selling another piece of land.

Ann F: Right it would, but on the other hand if you are thinking about how you are going to flesh out the moving option and the pros, there is the whole question of who is going to manage it. Is it going to be the library staff, is it going to be town staff. If it's town property then someone has to manage it. If it's a non-profit then they get to manage it. One whole piece of the pros has to be the management aspect if we want it to be a historical asset that is being used as a museum would be better served by moving it and selling it then by not moving it. That's a piece that has to be fleshed out.

Kathy: So Ann, do you mean like moving it to a site that the historical society owns?

Ann F: No I meant moving it to Richard's site, the town sells it to the non-profit or it keeps it itself. And then there is the whole question of "so they keep it because it has better septic, etc. but they rent it or something to the non-profit and they manage it. There are other management options that wouldn't involve the town managing it if it gets moved. That's all, and one of them could be the site Richard mentioned or somewhere else. It just gets complicated.

Kathy: That complicates it a lot more.

Ann F: I'll take it away but Silas did raise the question and I think it's true.

Kathy: I thought the point was to create a library campus?

Van: Well it could still be at the same campus, she's just saying that it would be owned or managed by a non-profit.

Ann F: Maybe managed, not owned.

Richard: I would say that it would be managed, not owned.

Kathy: So like water and septic?

Richard: That would all come from the town.

Ann F: It could be owned by the town and managed by a non-profit. They are doing that at UMass there are dorms that are going to be owned by the state and yet it's going to be managed by a profit making organization.

Richard: That's a public/private partnership.

Ann F: This could be a public/private partnership

Kathy: The public is us, the citizens of Leverett paying taxes, and the private. It just seems overly complicated.

Ann F: I'm not saying it's not complicated. I'm just saying you have to think of the management question and if the town is managing it because it owns it then it's going to have to pay for a staff person that the town would have to pay for. If they rent the place to a non-profit and then they have to find the money to do that. If the management thing is not moot--, it has to be decided and one option could be a public/private arrangement for the management.

Kathy: Right, but I would just say that if the private is just coming back to the town of Leverett for funding under CPA then what are we really doing here?

Ann F: Yeah, we are losing democracy, that is what we are really doing and that would be a con. You're right, you have to work out all the details. I'm not advocating this.

Anne S: I would agree. The problem of how this entity is going to be managed, whether or not we want to address it now or not/

Richard: I was going to suggest that it would be covered in that proposal and I was not anticipating that it would be managed by anyone but the town. I think that it makes sense for the town to schedule it because one of the purposes is to have multiple people be able to use it so I don't think that you would farm that out so at least my version of the proposal would have ownership and management of it stay with the town.

Anne S withdrew her hand.

Don: I was going to comment on what Silas brought up in terms of this alternate site that Richard picked out. We would have to go through the whole suitability aspect of that just like we are looking at the suitability of the current location.

Richard: Obviously.

Don: I know that there are wetlands issues there. I know that the library itself had to deal with that. They actually had to get some CPC money to deal with the wetlands aspect of it. You've got the little brook back there. So you can't just make an assumption that a particular site is suitable unless you go through the same sort of process you are going through for the existing location.

Richard: That would happen, but it's premature to do that at this point.

Don: Well then you don't have the information that Ann was referring to in terms of putting together the options. You have environmental options.

Richard: I don't disagree with that. If you chose that option then you'd have to go forward with that just like if you chose the option of it staying on site and and being fixed up you would have to go through all of the issues that would be involved in making it a legal public building on the current site. All of those things that you do once you've chosen an option.

Don: I don't know how you can choose an option unless you have evaluated the suitability of the site for that purpose.

Richard: Well, I think that one of the things you do is we go forward with this if we get to that point then that would be something you'd do. At this point, I think it's premature to do that. We are trying to get some of the environmental issues and some of the structural issues on the current building. Things that are independent of the site that the building needs and then some of the site issues that the building needs at its current site. These are all issues that need to be looked at, but we're not there yet. At least I think we aren't there yet.

Anne S: Has the wetland delineation come in yet? I might have missed that.

Richard: No, it's in process. What has come in is the land survey and that's been registered at the Registry of Deeds.

We waited for Silas and Maureen to get back online.

Silas: I just wanted to thank Don for expanding on my point there, I didn't want to get into too much detail but I think if we are going to take these options to a public forum, the first thing people are going to ask about the "move it" option is "where are you going to move it to?" We can't just assume, I said this back in the second meeting. In order to make this an option, we have to secure a parcel of land. We can't just assume. We can't assume that the library will be okay with it. We can't assume that the abutting neighbor will be okay with it. We can't assume that the recreation and trails committee and conservation will be okay with it. We just can't assume that. The same consideration has to go into it that has gone into the site that it sits on now for septic, boundaries, wells and everything else. (Richard talked over Silas, but Silas ended with where to move it).

Richard: The fact of the matter is that the septic and the well already exist there.

Silas: They exist for the current structures. If you add a bedroom to your house, you have to make your septic bigger.

Richard: That's true.

Silas: You can't throw another building on a lot and be like "Yup, we can use their septic".

Richard: This I've explored and there is capacity there.

Silas: Well, we are going to need the health agent to verify that.

Richard: When we get there, we will do that.

Silas: If we are building that as an option, I think we are there.

Richard: I am going to suggest that we finish the other things that we are working on before we do that. We've got a number of things that are underway and there is only so much time that people can devote to this. We will move forward on it as it makes sense to. I'm trying to find you the assessment right now.

Kathy: We're trying to do things step by step and so the first step was trying to see if it can stay where it is and be legal. The town is giving us money to do this step by step process so I don't know if it is going to be okay with the town to jump ahead to spend more money to assess what it would cost the town when we haven't got the first property assessed.

Richard: Right and that is the way I was proceeding on it. I think all of these are good questions and we'll get to them in order and in due time. We've sort of gotten pretty far from planning for public meetings.

Ann F: It's all relevant because it seems like this discussion has yielded that we don't really have enough information to even get teams to begin writing pros and cons if we don't even have the information on the site. So, I'm going to withdraw my suggestion because I think that at this time it's not going to work.

Richard: Okay.

Silas: I've got a comment, it was a while ago, 10 or 15 minutes ago, but I think it will help this process. The money that we were appropriated to use the surveyors and so for that we were given from CPC. Instead of asking for a favor here and there from Margie or the town counsel, can we ask if we can get approval for \$600.00 to get an hour of her time to actually get these questions answered for us so we can carry on with a few of these options?

Richard: Let me talk to Margie about whether there is a cost and what it will be and I will get back to the committee with that information.

Silas: She's like \$600 an hour.

Richard: How do you know that?

Silas: I've heard the figure. I know who the lawyer is, I just know that, but I think it's a relevant cost and I think we should be able to use some of that CPC money to get our answers that we need. That's what I was getting at.

Richard: Okay. Well I think that that is a reasonable thing to do. Let me confirm that that is the cost and we have to pay it. I'll bring the answer back to the next meeting. I think that is the proper way to deal with that. I think it's a fine idea.

Silas: Thank you.

Richard: Alright, do we want to move on to the next item? I wanted to give you an update on the Field Building Committee webpage. We got the webpage, I've got to populate it. When I was doing that on Tuesday morning when UMass was closed and the trees came down the power went out. I will finish it this weekend. I'm sorry that we didn't make more progress, but we didn't but that is going forward and we are going to put the minutes up and we are going to put all of the stuff that various people have submitted on the building and its history up and make it available to everybody. I think that is a good step in getting us to the point of knowing what we are doing and letting the citizens of Leverett have some information on it. Anybody got any discussion on that?

Kari: Thank you for getting the website organized. My question was actually going back a few minutes. You were talking about a meeting that has been set up with the library officials. I wondered if you can just tell us a little about that. Every time I drive by there I start thinking we really do need to talk with them and I'm kind of amazed that we haven't yet.

Richard; We had to be invited, we were invited. The people that were invited were Pat and I. We are trying to work out exactly when. The last time they proposed a date and it was in conflict with another meeting that I needed to attend and that Pat needed to attend so we are trying to reschedule that now and as soon as I get it scheduled I will let everyone know. People are welcome to come to the extent that this will be a library board of trustees meeting to the extent that they will allow other people to come. I think we are welcome to have more people attend. It won't be a debate, it will be a presentation.

Kari: I just wanted to make sure that they are looped in.

Richard: They are definitely looped in. I have spoken to the school board already. They invited us to speak also. The school committee really likes the idea of the building being closer to the school so that it is accessible to the school children. Right now, there is no place to park a bus near the current site of the building and it's pretty hard for them to make use of it with a large group of kids. They also were concerned that they couldn't make use of it without there being a bathroom there.

Richard: The value of the building is \$70,400 and the value of the land is \$184,400 for a total of \$254,800. I think that when the taxpayers at the town meeting hear those numbers, which they clearly will, they are going to be pretty reluctant to give it away for a dollar when it's worth a quarter of a million dollars. It's probably gone up since then because this is the 2019 assessment and I haven't seen this year's assessment yet. I haven't downloaded it.

Silas: Can you see the classification on there? It's clearly not a residence. Is it a barn or a shed?

Richard: Let me pan across. There is no classification on this assessment map.

Silas: The only reason it gets assessed is for town insurance probably.

Richard: It has been properly assessed by an assessor and that \$254,800 is what it is assessed at. That is on an official town document.

Silas: Oh no, I believe you.

Richard: Well it's a building. It's not a shed, it's not a garage, it's a public building and it's assessors map 7-1-2014. That's the story.

Richard: We've covered the update on consultants, we've covered the discussions of possible use. That's what we've been hashing out and we've talked about the web page, we've talked about planning for the public meeting and we've accepted the minutes. We covered the agenda. I'm prepared to let visitors speak if they'd like to. Go ahead Maureen.

Maureen: I've got one more thing. So for the budget meeting on Tuesday, I guess I need to ask Margie before the meeting if this is something that we can just ask from the floor that this be added when they get to the facilities section.

Richard: I think what we can ask, as I understand it, is that they will go over every aspect of the budget and when they talk about the town facilities budget we can ask the question of why the Field building isn't included in that. All the other town buildings are included in that, so I think we need to ask the question "why was the Field Building excluded from that".

Maureen: Okay, that is how I will present it.

Richard: And let them answer it.

Silas: Is that also the correct time to ask to be included and have figures lined up and ready to go in case they ask?

Richard: Pat, do you want to speak to that?

Pat: I had talked with Margie about this and I had hoped that it would have been put on our agenda. I think what we need to do is Richard needs to ask for it to be put into the budget. If we are talking about paying for the oil. The town is already paying for the electricity, I assume.

Sara: No, the historical society is paying for that.

Pat: Okay, so Richard needs to just bring that up at the budget hearing and then we are heading into the final stages of that. The other possibility is putting it as a special article. Personally, I'd rather it be in the budget for facilities.

Richard: To me it belongs in the budget.

Pat: Yeah, as a line item. I've seen this happen before with the school. I think it would be good if the historical society can give some numbers to Richard about the cost.

Maureen: Pat, I was going to bring it up at the budget hearing, just because Richard's always there talking I thought it would be good for somebody else to say something. So I have the numbers from Sara.

Pat: That's great, I was just saying Richard as the chair. In my conversations with Margie, I had asked for it to be put into Will's budget and that didn't happen. I think that needs to come from the committee.

Sara: I sent the amounts to Maureen for heat and electricity and there was a maintenance charge for almost \$500.00, I'm not sure what that was for the period of September 2021 to August 2022. I had asked Edie if she had paid any in that period and she said "no, not in that period". She can't find any record of paying any heat or electricity.

Pat: I think if you have the electricity and heat amounts. Oil for every department is over-expended because of the prices. I just think that having something in there is important.

Don: I should also let everyone know that Sara and I through the LHS have donated a Star dehumidifier for the basement of the library. It's been delivered to Charlie Abbott and Charlie Abbott will be installing it. He may have already done that.

Pat: So you are doing that as a donation or do you want to be reimbursed?

Don and Sara: It's a donation.

Pat: Great, that's wonderful and I think when this comes to the selectboard, that should be mentioned.

Richard: I agree.

Maureen: Okay

Silas: We started off picking teams but that ended real fast. I would like to join the "let's keep it where it is team", Don and Sara if you'll have me.

Sara: Of course.

Kari: I think we were putting a hold on picking teams for now, right.

Richard: I think we were.

Ann F: I kind of withdrew that. It doesn't seem that we have enough facts for all the options

Don: You can still be on my team, though Silas

Silas: We can get started on a first draft at least.

Richard: Have at it. Alright, anything else before we let the visitors speak?

Kari: Just one quick question, I'm sorry. Don and Sara, thank you for donating that dehumidifier. How will it drain? Is this one of those that will actually drain to the outside so we don't have to change it?

Don: Charlie Abbott went in there and did the assessment. For those of you who know Charlie, he's a pretty meticulous guy. The old one which is in disrepair obviously, does have a port draining to the outside but it is very tight where it is. The unit that will replace it has a pump associated with it so it will self drain itself and it can be located on the floor. It doesn't have to be elevated as the current one is now.

Kari: Oh great. So we don't have to pick times to go over and empty it or anything?

Don: You don't have to bother with it. There's also an option of having it associated with the wifi and you could actually control this thing remotely, but we obviously don't have wifi there.

Kari: Great, thank you.

Richard: Okay, I'm going to try again. Can we let the visitors speak? Would any of the visitors like to speak? Tanya.

Tanya C: I wasn't trying to be rude earlier, but I want to make a public comment. I just wanted to say that I have the deed from 1968, and it went from "the inhabitants of the town of Leverett acting by the Board of Selectmen duly authorize for consider paid grant to the Leverett Historical Society, blah, blah, blah.

Richard: Which building are you talking about?

Tanya: It's interesting because, okay, it was saying Depot Road and Leverett and I was thinking "What does this have to do with the LFM?" But it says that it was paid to, or grant to the Leverett Historical Society the land known as the Moore's Corner School reserving to the grantor the right to continue its present use of the first floor of the school standing on the premises as a public library, said right shall contingent on the continuous use of the said building as a public library and said right to terminate when and if the grantor for any reason whatsoever discontinues the said use of the building. It came from ??? Watson who acquired it from Will. It looks like maybe 1942 it came into his family. I haven't gone that far back, but it does say "for authority of Selectmen to execute this deed, see vote of the 1968 annual town meeting." So, I wasn't going to read all of that, but since I have the floor now, the other thing is, as far as moving this building, the way I look at it is you will have the same amount of costs to deal with glazing the windows and the trim, and a basement. If you moved it I guess you would maybe dig another one or not have one, I don't know. There is a site, you guys are talking about that, I wasn't even thinking about that, but I'm thinking you have this base price, let's say it's \$100,000 to fix it up and then on top of that you are going to have the moving expense and the setting it up on the other place. I think it's very important to at least have ballpark estimates of these.

Richard: We have.

Tanya: Excuse me, I'm talking. I was done, I just thought these kinds of things add on and then you are talking about having the town managing it, whichever way or whatever. What, are you going to hire someone? You are taking it all for the town and all it's doing is adding expenses and maybe keeping it out of a democratic place that lots of people feel they could volunteer there. That's my thoughts right now.

Richard: Okay, thank you.

Tanya: Thank you.

Richard: Point of information, we did get an estimate for moving it. The cost of moving it is \$40,000.

Tanya: How much, excuse me?

Richard: \$40,000.

Don: Could you provide a copy of that estimate?

Richard: I will be delighted to post it on the website.

Don: Does it also include involving the utilities and all the lines it has to go through?

Richard: Absolutely. That is New Hampshire Building Movers.

Don: It was a higher estimate to move the house on Montague Road. It was \$70,000.

Richard: Different buildings, this is a tiny building.

Don: That was a tiny building as well.

Carol Heim: I'm really glad that you are investigating very carefully the option of keeping it in the same site. I do want all stones to be turned over to investigate that because that would be my first choice. I'm open to all the options, but what I don't want is to be presented with differing amounts of information on each option, so I got a little bit nervous, Richard, when you said we were going to wait to find out the other options about the moving option. I don't want to be asked in a public meeting or at a vote as a town resident to choose between options where I have very thorough information about the current site and all of the information about costs and so on but not the information about the moving option which would have to include similar investigations and the cost of management if that going to be an issue and so forth. So I'm just saying, please don't ask me, as a town's person, to make a choice, when both the alternatives haven't been equally investigated.

Richard: No, and I think that clearly we are going to investigate them fully, but what I think we needed to do first was to investigate the current site fully and we are almost there on that. We've got issues going forward. We've got one issue completed and once we have the information for that, then if we think that moving it is likely then we would go forward with that issue and fully explore that next. That would be the plan, but I don't think we can do all of these things at once. At least I don't have time to do all of them at once.

Carol Heim: Thanks.

Pat: I think this is a great process and I hope that everybody is trusting it. These are all like mini feasibility studies that you all are doing. I think that it's really important to get all of those done before it is brought before the town, like you said Carol. I think that everyone is doing that, I think it is sort of like making a cake. You have all these ingredients and then you have to sort of assemble everything and then bring it all together and I really do admire this committee for how hard everybody is working and contributing. I want to say that I think you will get there.

Richard: I think we are there. I'd like to ask for a motion to adjourn.

Sara: So moved.

Ann F. Second.

Richard: All those in favor? Unanimous vote. Okay, thank you all, I think this was a good meeting. I think we got a lot done.

Goodbyes from everyone.