

Bradford M. Field Memorial Library Ad Hoc Committee Meeting Minutes
July 13, 2023

Present: Richard Nathhorst, Silas Ball, Maureen Ippolito, Anne Schuyler, Judy Todd, Ann Ferguson, Kari Ridge, Kathy and Van Stoddard, Don and Sara Robinson

Visiting: Carol Heim, Tanya Cushman, Eva Gibavic

Absent: Pat Duffy

The meeting was called to order at 7:34.

Discussion of the issue with the recording from the last meeting. Because of a power outage, the recording did not work. Judy is still working on the minutes.

Richard shared his screen so everyone could review the Tighe and Bond report to continue the discussion of the results. Richard spoke with Zach from Tighe and Bond about estimates of the cost of a raised septic system and well being installed at the existing location of the museum. Richard read from the email he sent to Zach with the questions we had. **Richard—can you please send me a copy of the email you and Zach exchanged so I can put it here in the minutes.**

Discussion took place on the need for a bathroom in the building, where it could be placed, the well needs to be set back from the building, the estimated cost was discussed. The Tighe and Bond report maps out exactly how much land we can work with on the lot. A raised septic system would probably be concerning to the neighbors on the left side of the building. Leach fields need to be at least 15 feet from the property line. Van pointed out that the further we move the septic away from that house, the more money it will cost. Richard pointed out that with the Tighe and Bond report there is no more question about where the wetlands are.

Richard had spoken with Daniella who reminded Richard that getting cost estimates for any part of the project are not in our charge as a committee. That would come later, probably with another committee after Town Meeting members decide on the future of the building.

Kathy asked about a perk test. Richard noted that we are not authorized to get a perk test. Kathy asked when the last perk test was done. Donald responded that it was done sometime in the 1970's by Larry LaClaire.

Van: What is our next move?

Richard: We had three tasks to do. We had to get a registered land survey and we've done that with the Tighe and Bond report. All those things that Don and I were fighting over in the past are settled now. Where are the wetlands, they are shown on the map.

The last part of our task is the conditions report and the preservation plan based on the National Park Service historic buildings regulations and the Mass Historical Society regulations, part of which will make use of what we have in front of us here. The architect will take all of this information and make a report of their recommendations of how this would be done. That is part of the requirements.

Carol Heim: I'm puzzled by your statement that this committee had three tasks...sent to the committee on June 24, 2022 and it lists that the tasks are what are the preferred....community meetings. Second, considering the answer to question one, should the Third, what will be the financial...it seems that clearly the It may be that Danielle doesn't think that CPC money can be used, but it is within the charge of the committee.

Richard:without doing a design and without doing any kind of site work that Zachin order to get hire costs, we would have to go out and getbasically the next phase of this...go out and get it permitted so you can determine if we can build it all....a construction design from which you could

Carol: I don't agree, but other people have their hands up.

Ann F. I don't think that members of this committee...so we can not get hard cost of ... and keeping the building where it is. I'm concerned that we still have a very important thing to get the input from.... Where the community would have input. That is a very important part of our tasks....of moving the building which is one of our other options...it would be possible to get some soft The committee needs to decide whether the Select Board I'm going to suggest revisions. I'm going to suggest a fourth We are going to need to have some kind of an estimate of the cost of moving the building. It's beyond our purview....that is within the charge the SB is expecting from us...discussing the cost but also the uses....the summary is I think we need to be discuss the forums, Whether or not the committee thinks we need to

Richard: Let me say that the forums come after we have the architects report in hand. That is the third part of what we need to have in hand...the final third report done. As far as developing informal cost estimates, being a construction....I think that is extremely dangerous...if you are paying nothing for them, they are going to be worth nothing.

Silas: I'm going to start off with some questions...Tighe and Bond just did a feasibility. Is that correct.

Richard: Tighe and Bond....they were not charged with doing a septic system design.

Silas: So we gained quite a bit of information from them.... I believe you had a septic designer friend who was willing to give us a hand with this. Until Here's my point. The first meeting we had we decided Made to suggestions at that point which I know haven't been talked about since. One is The town transfer What is this building going to be, we don't know....the other option is a tight tank...a traditional septic system so you The other option is 12 years ago the Water potability.... The answer was they took property, eminent domain...that has not happened yet. They own the property now.... We could did a trench and pump water down and septic up.... When it comes time to talk to septic engineers, I want that option on the table.

Donald: yes, as I recorded last week....designed many septic systems I reached out to him and unfortunately he had surgery....I have...sent it off to him and For consideration. To give a little background, Bob is the owner of an engineering firm in Leverett. He was involved with the With the Leverett Arts and Crafts....he designed the structural set up for the NLBC, and most recently designed....a have provided a copy of the Tighe and Bond report for him to review. I'll read a few of the comments....The T & B report on page 5 Robert stated that in his career he has designed many...make any conclusions....when Larry stated...Actually the reason Robert stopped by there was we were looking at the spillway and designing a replacement. Mentioned installing a tight tank....another alternative would be to have a pump system That would be the cheapest and best alternative. That like the proposal to move the building would need a Robert designed ... one mile from the source. Robert also Familiar with that area and the challenge with moving the building You'll have to say we didn't collaborate on this...the options are...there are other options that are feasible and they are what Robert Leete would actually recommend.

Richard: Thank you Donald

Anne S.: I wanted to return back That we have, but reporting it out, I think we need to have some other It's going to cost \$150,000....I think that is irresponsible.

Richard: I don't know how we You'd have to do a site survey on the 16 acres....to determine the best site to relocate the building..... I don't see how we can come up with site....we don't have money to design tight tanks and we absolutely....to connect the town hall....

Silas:

Richard: We don't have money to do any of that. There are lots of ways that this can be done. We are $\frac{2}{3}$ of the way there....our task then is to rank what the options are and I think...disposal of the property....

Kathy: Well there are many things that we would like to do as an Ad Hoc committee and I think we have to adhere to what the town has limited our authority to. Richard, I think you've gone back to Danielle and found that what we can do is the conditions report of the building and the historical preservation plan. Those are the two steps left that we can do. If we do those steps, we have successfully delivered to the town what we were tasked to do. The town has been very clear on what we can spend our money on and what we can't.

Ann F: I certainly agree, I don't think we can have town forums before we have the architectural study done. The SB wanted us to have interviews and committee meetings to discuss future uses....what we had in mind for the forum and trying to This would not happen until we have all the data we just mentioned. If we can't even get ballparkhistorical integrity questions....I'd like to s

Kathy: One of the key bits of information that we wish we can get but we can't because the town won't authorize us to....a design for a septic, we might be in a position of offering to the town options that we can't stand behind or impossible to deliver.

Ann F: ...what we've been talking about so far.

Richard: Keep in mind that the architect will be able to shed some light on the relative costs of some of these things...used to looking at these things. I think they can make some relative recommendations...the structural part of it and the historical part of it and come up with a preservation strategy. They can make some recommendations on what would be the reasonable....

Pat: I really think that everything has been marching along as it can. You are getting things done step by step...things look good...plus the ConComm and the BOH. I'm wondering why estimates are not a feasible thing for some of this.

Richard: We'd have to get a construction design to get estimates that are You don't start....

Pat: I feel like that the once the committee goes through all these steps, we will be in another place once these things are done....

Richard: What would be asking the BOH and ConComm to look at.

Pat:

Richard: We can certainly....

Pat: We don't have an agent anyway. I just wanted to say that I do think that things are moving along good. Just keep going.

Eva: I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that there was a successful perk test in the past.

Kathy: It's just not valid because of how long ago it was done.

Eva: It is information however that the property has perked in the past.

Sara: I think the imminent question is what is the building going to be used for...we have all these details about what is outside....whether we need a septic system, whether we need a bathroom. It comes down to what are we going to use the....we should be interviewing the committee and get some input.

Richard: I agree with you. We need to get some of that information and I think we need to go forward with the.... And we take that and hold our forums with the community and move forward. I think we are Profession reports in, a lot of things that we subjects of controversy were resolved. Ann...in the beginning, there is an option of the town divesting itself of the property and I think you want to speak to that.

Ann F: ...I agree that we are making progress....the majority of this committee has spoken doesn't want this option, but never the less...that the town sell the building to the highest bidder with no Whatever is done with the building it will cost too much to make it work....in my view whoever is defending Keeping at the present location....someone has to be present that option and then of course, the people opposed to....some museum function and how that building and its historical aspects....we need to talk about the uses that the building could have. It could be a multi-purpose building....small kitchenette...there would be rotating aspects of any display that was there...how important it is to keep the archives there...to sell the building in order not to have the cost of either moving it or keeping it needs to be the fourth option in our forum....possibly rethink the idea that we would be having...except for that fourth option, we should have proponents To keep it in the Or to move it. I'm suggesting that we try to get volunteers to step forward to do their homework....option four is not my option... if we needed a presenter for that. I will send to the committee members...it would be ... the proponents of each option would be the presenters.

Richard: I'd like to speak to that. One of the other issues....sold at public auction in order for it to comply with state law. In addition, I've heard that part of selling the building could be retaining the land to be part of the town common and optioning the building off to be moved with the provision that anyone who bought....the town common. I wasn't thinking....

Donald: If you look at the June 2022 charge...there is nothing in the charge to the committee about moving the building...the other things that I would add in terms of the option that Silas and I Running a line to the town hall....I'm certainly willing to talk with someone like Larry LaClaire just to get an estimate....I also know that he has recommended two or three septic designers...particularly someone who is so experienced....

Richard: I think that the fact that they are part of the town One of the things we've been doing so far is to get professionals....

Anne S.: I was going to go back to our original charge...we are presenting these as options to the town. The language in an email, I got a bit nervous about,...I get back to the same thing...with keeping the building there rather...what Sara was saying about what the building will be used for....you are going to get things that we didn't even think about....

Ann F: I have a question about the legal question of selling the building with the condition....2009 and for some reason didn't come to pass. I guess the LHS wasn't able... There is some ... put that type of rider on it. We weren't able to get the town counsel to Apparently to pay for him to do that. Maybe you could say a bit more about that.

Richard: I have gone to Margie twice on this issue and she's done some research....there is some question on how this type of property would be sold if the town The common way to do that, according to Margie, is that it would be a public auction....best solution for the tax payers and they would obtain the highest value that way. I've asked her about the legality of giving it to a private organization for \$1.00. She said we'd have to talk with the town counsel....the woman who is our town counsel has an hourly,....the SB directing that the

Pat: Send me the question and I'll ask Margie. There is a few different things going on right now that we need to ask our town lawyer.

Richard: I will be happy to do that. I think one of the other questions is retaining the land....might even make it more attractive....If I were somebody interested...putting a septic system there.

Pat: If you send it to me, that would remind me to ask her.

Richard: I will do that.

Tanya: I was happy to hear Sara mention that if it is Non-conforming uses....the Leverett bylaw....may be continued.... So it's almost like the cheapest thing if it was going to stay in some historical use...there goes all the money you just spend for all these things. I don't understand....

Richard: non-conforming structures are not The town is subject to state law for public buildings It absolutely....

Tanya: I would like to see that written out....if we sell it to the historical society or the Field and Family Friends new organization....in the same way that it is being used now....you are missing this one thing.

Richard: First of all, if it changes hands the use ceases and the other thing is that Leverett law doesn't trump State law and State code....

Tanya: I don't wish...250 it seems to be that if it stays as it is....not costing quite a bit of It's not going to, you've just made it so big and you've taken Right there where it belongs as far as I'm concerned.

Richard:

Tanya: I think it would be very helpful to share that information with the public....

Richard: The architectural

Kathryn: This is a point of order and I don't know the answer.....we've received certain documents that we've all reviewed...is there any protocol for the opinion of guests and the proceedings of this meeting?

Richard: In the past....difficult to enforce in the past. If you are not...you are here as a guest. That's the answer

Tanya: I thought we were near the end.....

Richard:

Tanya: Yes, I am the public....I am someone showing up with an opinion.

Richard:

Silas: I just wanted to bring.....it is 78CMR3.00 It's called existing structures...Silas read subsection....existing structures.... Every time Anything that currently stands before the change shall remain....

Richard: It doesn't apply to sanitary code.

Silas:shall be permitted to continue without change....get familiar with it.

Richard: I have to tell you that it doesn't

Silas: It applies to everything....his name is Michael McDowell is the president of the building inspectors of America....past president of And the past president of the home builders of Western Massachusetts....a home improvement contractor....he's a past member of the board of home inspectors....he's a member of the board

We couldn't hear Silas.

Richard: You go back to him and ask him if....and I think that you'll find that it does not. You can't have a public building in Massachusetts without a toilet.

Silas:

Donald: I Inspection program

Richard: I will be happy to discuss with him.

Van: Jim provides those inspections after Title 5 has been met.

Donald:

Van: Title 5 is the governing

Silas: There is no bedrooms in that building.

Van... It's all about safety.

Richard: I think there is one last thing I'd like to see us get done tonight....

Finalize getting the estimates from the three architects to go on with the third part of our documentation...the conditions report and.... Which will include a code review which will help us address.... I make that motion.

Van: Seconded

Ann F: Call the question.

Richard....

Sara: It was upsetting to think that building....some attention given to them. There is a lady here right now from California....she's is there...more vital information for her research there than she did in Deerfield or Amherst...history is the future. If she has to go to the bathroom.... Where, who knows. That is our heritage and I don't want to even think of selling our town. Enough said.

Richard; I don't think....

Ann F: I am going to send the suggestions that I raised to modify....maybe we can discuss that at the next meeting.....

Anne S.: If we are going to put an option four....than maybe we should have an option that we do knowing....we get back to that whole issue.

Ann F: I think How it is kept whether or not it has a septic....future discussion. We can put in that option.

Anne S:

Richard: Keep in mind that the architectural.....and clarify some of this information.

Tanya: I assuming....especially when the architectural report comes out. I can't find them anywhere. If they are in electronic form.....

Richard:

Tanya: I would like to know all of the information

Richard: That is the whole idea of the forums, to get the information out there.

Made a motion to adjourn. Motion passed unanimously.

Next meeting is August 17, 2023