Historical Commission Meeting

Monday, November 18, 2019, 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm
Town Hall
A meeting of the Historical Commission

Meeting of Historical Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Absent: Sara Robinson
  • Absent: Edie Field, Honorary
  • Absent: Anne Schuyler
  • Present: Ann Tweedy, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Mareneck, Chair, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Lynton, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Eva Gibavic, at 7:00 PM

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:30 PM

Meeting closed: 8:40 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. History-related Cultural Events

    • Leverett 250 - Planning for "semiquincentennial" (or, "quartermillenial", or "sestercenternnial") in Leverett. Planning for September 15, 2019 gathering, 3-5pm Leverett Library.

      General Discussion...
      Maureen Ippolito has reached out to those who signed up to be on the 250th Anniversary list serve at the Harvest Festival and September 250th Kick-off meeting. We are looking at a next gathering in March 2020. Sundays are 3/1, 8, 15, 22, 29. Date yet to be determined. It is hoped that some of those interested citizens will help to select a date and time.

    • Schooling in Leverett - "One-Room School House" Oral History Project. "Go Local..." MBLC grant update; transcriptions.

      General Discussion...
      Possible that we may need to hire professional transcription service. The Library is consulting with the grantor (MLBC) on whether they would approve that adjustment. The UMASS Public History grad students may want to assist with designing a book detailing the "One Room School House" experience as remembered through the eyes of the project interviewees. It may be that undergrads might be more interested in being paid for transcribing. Ann T. will consult Marla Miller UMASS History Dept. and Rob Cox at UMASS Special Collections.

  3. Strategic Planning for Historical Assets Survey

    • CPC grant - CPC grant application for 2020 (due 12/1/19).

      MOTION, moved by Eva Gibavic, seconded by Ann Tweedy: Moved that the LHC will apply for 2020 Community Preservation Act funding as a match for MHC Survey & Planning proposal to continue the survey work underway on the remaining artifacts in Leverett's landscape of its industrial heritage. .

      Pass: Aye: Ann Tweedy, Susan Mareneck, Eva Gibavic, Susan Lynton. Not Present: Edie Field, Sara Robinson, Anne Schuyler.

      To ask for $12,500 to match MHC request.

    • Historical Assets Survey Questionnaire - HAS Questionnaire Report - - Next steps -- Strategies for reporting findings - Present at Finance, Zoning Bylaws Committees, Conservation Commission; Board of Health; Library Trustees; Friends of Leverett Pond, School Committee and ?

    • MAHumanities Discussion Grant for community engagement - "A Sense of Where You Are: Conversations about Leverett's historic industrial landscape and community."

      MOTION, moved by Susan Mareneck, seconded by Eva Gibavic: Move to give Project Manager Pleun Bouricius permission to ask MAHumanities for a 6 month extension to expand educational outreach.

      Pass: Aye: Ann Tweedy, Susan Mareneck, Eva Gibavic, Susan Lynton. Not Present: Edie Field, Sara Robinson, Anne Schuyler.

      Request for extension to be determined.

    • MHC Survey & Planning - Letter of Interest - discussion of topic.

      MOTION, moved by Susan Lynton, seconded by Ann Tweedy: Move that a Letter of Interest to Massachusetts Historical Commission's 2020 Survey & Planning round from the LHC be focused on extending the industrial heritage landscape investigation.

      Pass: Aye: Ann Tweedy, Susan Mareneck, Eva Gibavic, Susan Lynton. Not Present: Edie Field, Sara Robinson, Anne Schuyler.

  4. Cemeteries

    • Cemetery Conservation

    • Individual Cemetery Issues - Leverett Cemetery Association; Town website corrections; 2017 Form E submissions - MHC offer to subsidize National Register applications for North and Hillsboro/Long Plain.

      General Discussion...
      After some information about current situation with Wiley Cemetery and the neighboring residents' request for a legal right-of-way across a corner of the cemetery property for their existing driveway. It was decided that LHC through Eva G. would work with Margie to put a warrant on the TM Warrant to accept the gift of Wiley Cemetery so that the town can then legally give an easement. We believe this is the advice of the town counsel as well.

    • Veterans Recognition Project - Martha Lyon/Martha Lyon Landscape Architecture, LLC Final Report - Signage design.

      General Discussion...
      "William G. Pomeroy Foundation, for History and For Life" may be a resource for signage. We will look into it.

  5. MHC - Archaeology requirements

    • Requirements - Next Steps

      General Discussion...
      Eva G. is looking into putting locks on our file cabinets in Town Hall.

  6. LHC - Schedules/ Meetings/ Duties

    • CPA Monitoring - Protocols for Historic Preservation Restrictions TBD

      General Discussion...
      A subcommittee of Susan M., Ann T. and Eva G. will look into formats for deed restrictions on property. MHC deed restriction formats are quite elaborate, more like conservation restrictions. We want to explore the possibilities.

    • LHC Membership - LHC Vacancy

      General Discussion...
      The town has adopted a "remote participation" policy for meetings of official town bodies. Our members who are away for an extended period could choose to participate (and vote, etc.) by phone or video in the future.

    • Town website - Update history section on Town website -"Leverett History" on town website

  7. CPA - Reconnaissance

    • Reporting - Template for monitoring CPA funded properties

      General Discussion...
      The same subcommittee that is looking into Historic Preservation Restriction formats is also charged with researching formats for reporting on our yearly monitoring of CPA funded historic sites to the Community Preservation Committee. Eva G. will share the format they created fro Rattlesnake Gutter Land Trust.

  8. New Business

    • LHC Budget

      General Discussion...
      The issue of funding for the 250th Anniversary celebration will be brought to the attention of the Select Board in 2020, but not requested until at least 2021. In 1974 the SB fronted between $15-20,000, which the 200th Anniversary committee repaid through various fundraisers (quilt, commemorative plates, History of Leverett book and other items.*

      *These funds would be allocated to a 250th Anniversary Committee, not the LHC.

    • Opportunities

      General Discussion...
      The Kirley property in North Leverett Center Historic District which includes the historic Slarrow Sawmill and a lot on the north side of the river as well as about 4 ac. containing the former office of the Kirley Post & Beam business as well as a large barn used to construct timber frames on the south side. There is interest in the historic mill and adjacent lot by a woman who would use the mill for sawing custom timbers and as the headquarters of her preservation business. She would also like to site a historic house from Marshfield (1744 Cape to be demolished) on the adjacent property. She has been in touch with other town boards including Bd. of Health, Planning, Zoning and Con Com. From preliminary discussions house seems difficult. Ask her if locating it in another place would be possible? Lot on Hannabrooke? Archaeologically, we have concern about preserving the man-made levee on the Kirley lot. Conversations about merging those several properties to form a protected "industrial heritage site" are emerging as a result of our "Sense of Place..." discussion grant explorations this fall. SM will be in touch with the interested party to get her feedback.

    • Reports

    • Stone walls - Any existing protections in Leverett?

      General Discussion...
      Beginning discussion about how to protect dams, stone walls and industrial remains in all the villages. Investigation would be facilitated by the receipt of a Survey & Planning grant to look into it.

  9. LHS

    • Brief update of activities

  10. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by sm

Minutes approved on Tuesday, Jan 7, 2020

Posted to: Historical Commission.