Historical Commission Meeting

Monday, September 9, 2019, 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm
Town Hall
A meeting of the Historical Commission

Meeting of Historical Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Absent: Edie Field, Honorary
  • Absent: Eva Gibavic
  • Present: Ann Tweedy, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Sara Robinson, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Mareneck, Chair, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Lynton, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Anne Schuyler, at 7:00 PM

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:15 PM

Meeting closed: 8:50 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. History-related Cultural Events

    • Leverett 250 - Planning for "semiquincentennial" (or, "quartermillenial", or "sestercenternnial") in Leverett. Planning for September 15, 2019 gathering, 3-5pm Leverett Library.

      General Discussion...
      Planning for Sunday September 15 kick-off: prepare a sign-up sheet. Eva will bring post-it paper for brainstorm. Invite/remind Leverett congregations and others. Show DVD of 1974 film. Refreshments of cookies, lemonade, cheese and crackers.

    • Schooling in Leverett - "One-Room School House" Oral History Project. "Go Local..." MBLC grant update; transcriptions.

      General Discussion...
      Report on "Go Local" grant from Ann Tweedy: UMASS Oral History Prof Sam Redman has approached students regarding transcribing 2017-18 interviews; thinks there will be interest. Then we will arrange meetings to discuss the scope of the project. Would there be additional interviews? (Ruth Black Beloli from Taunton?)

  3. Strategic Planning for Historical Assets Survey

    • Historical Assets Survey Questionnaire - HAS Questionnaire Report - - Next steps -- Strategies for reporting findings - Present at Finance, Zoning Bylaws Committees, Conservation Commission; Board of Health; Library Trustees; Friends of Leverett Pond, School Committee and ?

      General Discussion...
      Report by Susan Lynton: Files of presentation slides have been uploaded to Revenue Committee. When SL returns in October, will schedule presentations at town and other committees.

    • MAHumanities Discussion Grant for community engagement - "A Sense of Where You Are: Conversations about Leverett's historic industrial landscape and community."

      General Discussion...
      Report on activities (from Pleun Boricius): We have had 6 responses from letters to abutters of rivers and other mill sites. Eva will produce a list of significant, extant mill sites to focus on for the programs, then will schedule visits. Eva will train on use of "Collector app" (ARCGIS). SM will clarify funding from MAHumanities with Brian Morton, Town Accountant.

  4. Cemeteries

    • Cemetery Conservation

      General Discussion...
      (No report)

    • Individual Cemetery Issues - Leverett Cemetery Association; Town website corrections; 2017 Form E submissions - MHC offer to subsidize National Register applications for North and Hillsboro/Long Plain.

      General Discussion...
      Leverett Cemetery Association has completed and mounted 7 identification signs at some of the historic cemeteries. Now that Wiley is town-owned, what does that mean? There is brush, cleared by adjacent neighbors that could be transported to dump. Could the town keep an eye on the site? Would mowing be possible? SL will speak to SB. Could EG speak to abutters?

    • Veterans Recognition Project - Martha Lyon/Martha Lyon Landscape Architecture, LLC Final Report - Signage design.

      General Discussion...
      (No report)

  5. MHC - Archaeology requirements

    • Requirements - Next Steps

      General Discussion...
      (No report)

  6. LHC - Schedules/ Meetings/ Duties

    • CPA Monitoring - Protocols for Historic Preservation Restrictions TBD

    • LHC Membership - LHC Vacancy

      General Discussion...
      (Two candidates will be contacted.)

    • Town website - Update history section on Town website -"Leverett History" on town website

      General Discussion...
      Ann T. has set up a FB page for the discussion grant, "Leverett History". Send her photos. After discussion grant, how could it be used to engage re LHC activities?

  7. CPA - Reconnaissance

    • Reporting - Template for monitoring CPA funded properties

  8. New Business

    • LHC Budget

    • Opportunities

      General Discussion...
      Community Compact grants available to town. Consensus that we would collaborate with Revenue Committee on "economic development" to incorporate historic landscape and structures.

    • Reports

  9. LHS

    • Brief update of activities

      General Discussion...
      (No report)

  10. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by sm

Minutes approved on Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019

Posted to: Historical Commission.