A meeting of the Council on Aging (COA)
Meeting of Council on Aging (COA)
- Present: Judy Raphael, Co-Chair, Treasurer, at 10:00 AM
- Present: Fay Zipkowitz, Co-Chair, at 10:00 AM
- Present: Sue Nagy , at 10:00 AM
- Present: Judi Fonsh, at 10:00 AM
- Terry Allen (former Chair of COA)
- Tim Shores
- Jya Plavain
- Absent - John Szczesney
- Absent - Barbara Kline
Approved Meeting Minutes
Meeting opened: 10:00 AM
Meeting closed: 11:30 AM
Meeting Opened / Attendance Taken (see above).
No minutes to approve.
Call to Order:
- Meeting opened at 10:10AM
Approve minutes of previous meeting
- Minutes of the 9/16/2022 meeting
MOTION, moved by Judi Fonsh, seconded by Judy Raphael: Motion to approve the minutes of the 9/16/2022 as amended.
Pass: Aye: Gene Stamell, Judi Fonsh, Sue Nagy , Fay Zipkowitz, Judy Raphael. Not Present: John Szczesny.
- JR stated that there may be potential funding from the Mass Department of Elder Affairs and The Coalition of the Council on Aging incentive grant. There is an upcoming meeting that she plans to attend.
- Community - Based Participatory Needs Assessment for the Elder Population of Leverett, Massachusetts:
Jya and Tim from Town Common Research attended the meeting to discuss the 2022 Discovery Report for Leverett: Some of the discussion below.
1. Life Path will conduct their own survey.
2. Possible Additional smaller focus groups.
3. A larger group Community meeting with seniors.
4. Incorporating Village Neighbor for outreach.
5. Recruiting people for the focus groups based on the the most pressing issues affecting seniors.
6. How to notify the public.
- Survey findings:
Some findings in the survey most pressing to seniors:
1. Navigators - a person who can help seniors with finding resources and other help.
There may be Federal or State funds for an outreach person.
2. Facilities - a community space where seniors can gather for a social connection.
3. Aging in place.
4. Communication is an issue.
Recruitment for focus group.
Tim will send members script for our approval.
- COVID TESTS:
JR reported that the State is giving free COVID Test to COA's across the state. JR has filled out the application and COVID Tests will be available at the Town Hall.
Volunteer to Take Minute
- Members of the Council will rotate secretary duties i.e. Minutes.
Minutes prepared by Susan Nagy - Member Next meeting November 4
Minutes approved on Friday, Nov 4, 2022
Posted to: Council on Aging.