Historical Commission meeting

Monday, June 13, 5:30 pm until 7:00 pm
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86125147556
A meeting of the Historical Commission

Meeting of Historical Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Absent: Edie Field, Honorary
  • Absent: Susan Lynton
  • Present: Anne Schuyler, at 5:30 PM
  • Present: Eva Gibavic, at 5:30 PM
  • Present: Ann Tweedy, at 5:30 PM
  • Present: Sara Robinson, at 5:30 PM
  • Present: Susan Mareneck, Chair, at 5:30 PM

Also Present:

  • Carol Heim

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 5:40 PM

Meeting closed: 7:31 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. Access to Historical Commission monthly meeting - https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86125147556

    • LHC Vacancy - Discuss draft of questions for parties interested in serving on the Historical Commission.

      General Discussion...
      Discussion about the choice of words in the draft of questions sent to Anne Schuyler. For instance, is 'LHC mandate' the best title? It was decided to send the current draft to Carole to answer what questions she wants, since Pat Fiero and Brian Emond have withdrawn their applications. Then we will invite her to join us for the tour of CPA funded sites in July and a dialogue about anything that has been brought up in her answers to the questions , with a vote on approval for membership in August.

      1. Commission_membership_Draft_5-29.docx
    • SM contact - leveretthistoryinfo@gmail.com Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86125147556 Meeting ID: 861 2514 7556 Since the state will allow virtual meetings to continue until 7/22, the LHC plans to hold a virtual meeting on zoom through June 2022.

      General Discussion...
      A suggestion was made that if commissioners would read the minutes ahead of time and come with additions and corrections, it would save time. Susan offered to try to post the minutes in time for folks to read before the meeting.

  3. Preservation Planning for Historical Assets

    • Industrial History programming - UPDATE on "A Sense of Where You Are: Getting to Know Leverett's Industrial Past" Virtual and in-person tours to Leverett's historic industrial landscape and sites.

      General Discussion...
      Brushy Mtn. Mills program to be on Thursday June 23, since Fridays in summer maybe less well-attended. There will not be an in-person component this time. Then Pleun will be away for three weeks. Sara suggests that we have an older sign for the town-pound recreated, then we could pair it with an informational sign later. Begin to organize the interviews with people who worked in Leverett's industries in the fall, along with the program on the charcoal industry.

    • LHS Collection Inventory - UPDATE - Moore's Corner Schoolhouse and Field Family Museum collections of the Leverett Historical Society inventoried and digitized.

      General Discussion...
      A new person is joining the collection digitizing/cataloguing team in June. Sara would like to have an introduction to the work they have been by the end of the summer.

    • Preserving Leverett's historic properties - UPDATE Update on proposal for Selectboard to appoint an Ad Hoc committee to listen to community input on adaptive reuse possibilities for the Field Family Museum. Update on Slarrow Sawmill property in North Leverett.

      General Discussion...
      Friends of the North Leverett Sawmill (FONLS) has taken some steps toward preserving the building and its contents. Though covering of the openings is temporary as an insurance requirement, a question is raised. about violating the Historic Preservation Restriction (HPR). Rather than visit now, we will wait for July when we will do conditions assessment anyway. At the August meeting we can review the HPR. FONLS needs a 'base map' to document the site. Lidar maps are to scale. We can discuss further in August.

      1. Letter_of_Notification_to_LHC_002.docx
      2. 5-30-22Ad_Hoc_Visioning_for_Field_Building_Proposal-final_1.docx
      3. Deed_from_EJ_Field_to_town.pdf
      4. SPECIAL_HISTORICAL_COMMISSION_MTG-_Field_Family_Museum_6-2-2022-FINAL.pdf
  4. History-related Cultural Events

    • Leverett 250 - Planning for 250th year 2024 in Leverett. UPDATE from Anniversary Committee meeting on 6/12/22

    • Schooling in Leverett - ''10 to 1'', One-Room Schoolhouse Oral History Project publication. UPDATE on collaboration with Leverett Education Foundation to celebrate the publication of ''10 to 1'', Leverett Elementary School and education's historical importance in Leverett on June 11, 1pm at the Leverett Library. Also UPDATE on presentation of the project at the statewide Massachusetts History Conference, June 7, 2022.

      General Discussion...
      Review of recent MHA presentation is a reminder that we need to be able to store the videos that we are accumulating. We will discuss creating a digital library of videos on the LHC webpage. It would be helpful for the Commission to have a YouTube account. We should look to redesign the Historical Commissions webpage to include links to a digital library; more discussion in August.

    • Stone walls - Preserving stone walls in Leverett - "Mapping Leverett", a project for 250th that brings together neighbors to locate and restore Leverett's stone walls.

  5. Historical Commission Mission and Vision

  6. LHC Activities Timeline

    • LHC Activities Timeline - Timeline illustrates Mission & Vision - draft. At this juncture, 3 years from the 250th, what focus of LHC might be most effective?

  7. Cemeteries

    • Individual Cemetery Issues

    • Veterans Recognition Project - New resource listing Leverett veterans from the TH vault..

  8. LHC - Schedules/ Meetings/ Duties

    • Town website - Update history section on Town website -"Leverett History" on town website

  9. Special topics

    • Suggested topic - Suggested topic for future exploration - updating the Howe's Brothers photos now (30 years after last "update")?

  10. Review and document CPA-funded properties

    • Yearly review - Yearly observations and documentation of historic properties which have received preservation funding from the Community Preservation Act account will happen at the July meeting.

      General Discussion...
      SM will send out conditions assessment templates prior to the July review meeting.

  11. New Business

    • Discussion of LHC vacancy. - Discuss candidates interested in filling the Commission's one vacant seat.

      General Discussion...
      (See above)

      1. Commission_membership_Draft_5-29.docx
    • LHC Budget - Expense receipts?

  12. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by sm

Minutes approved on Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022

Posted to: Historical Commission.