Select Board/Finance Committee

Tuesday, January 18, 6:15 pm until 8:30 pm
9 Montague Rd.
A meeting of the Select Board

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://www.gotomeet.me/townleverett/selectboard-meeting
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123
Access Code: 502-625-813

Join from a video-conferencing room or system.
Dial in or type: 67.217.95.2 or inroomlink.goto.com
Meeting ID: 502 625 813
Or dial directly: 502625813@67.217.95.2 or 67.217.95.2##502625813

Attendees at Select Board Meetings must wear a mask.

Meeting of Select Board

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Tom Hankinson, at 6:15 PM
  • Present: Julie Shively, Chair, at 6:15 PM
  • Present: Melissa Colbert, at 6:15 PM

Also Present:

  • Present: Julie S.
  • Tom H.
  • Melissa C.
  • Margie M.
  • Lisa S.
  • Becky T.
  • for the Finance Committee: Jed P.
  • Nancy G.
  • Phil C.
  • Ann D. (remotely) George for the Montage Reporter

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 6:15 PM

Meeting closed: 8:12 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. Select Board meeting open to the public at 7:00 pm

  3. Executive Session

    To discuss the reputation, character, physical condition or mental health, rather than professional competence, of an individual, or to discuss the discipline or dismissal of, or complaints or charges brought against, a public officer, employee, staff member or individual. The individual to be discussed in such executive session shall be notified in writing by the public body at least 48 hours prior to the proposed executive session; provided, however, that notification may be waived upon written agreement of the parties. Select Board will reconvene in Open Session after the close of Executive Session.

  4. Appointments

    • 7:00: Library Budget Hearing

      General Discussion...
      (also present: Hannah P., Lisa SW., Joan G. (remotely)
      Hannah presented two budgets to the Select Board and Finance Committee; one showed how a level-funded budget would be distributed and the other with a 3% increase. She reminded the boards about the 20% of the budget needing to spent on materials in order to qualify for state aid. She has switched from using CWMARS for tech support and instead will be using Brian Cook, the Town IT person.

  5. Business

    • Accounting Office Update

      General Discussion...
      Accounting Office update: A new Accountant Deborah Jones who was part time in New Salem and Wendell and had gone full time to include Leverett and Sunderland has started.

    • Approve minutes of December 21 and January 4

      General Discussion...
      The minutes of Dec. 21 and January 4 were approved.

    • COVID Update and rapid test purchase update

      General Discussion...
      The board agreed to purchase 50-90 ihealth tests and if they get close to expiration, they can be given out to residents.

    • Regional IT Project Update

      General Discussion...
      Regional IT project update: Dan Keller from Wendell, told Julie that the meeting went well, SB agrees to Margie giving the ok for LeverettĀ“s technology to be considered for piggybacking/sharing services. The SB asks to be presented with data including benefits, vulnerabilities, potential for town income.

    • Regional School Budget

      General Discussion...
      A review of the Regional School budget was discussed post-4-town meeting. Once again, the regional assessment is an issue with Shutesbury voicing opposition to the rolling average method. Going to the statutory method would be too expensive for Amherst and cuts would be required to the budget. Several suggestions were made about how to appeal to voters and the residents of Shutesbury for equity. Becky T. offered to reach out to the Shutesbury School Committee and engage them in conversation. Jed suggested asking Amherst to provide a list of cuts at the middle and high schools if the statutory method was adopted in order to force a more concrete discussion of what is at risk. Julie will ask for such a list.
      The board discussed the capital request for the track and agreed that using CPA funds would be best if possible. A discussion between the surface option and the whole redesign was not made.

    • Sign: Class II Auto License and ACO Designation

      General Discussion...
      Class II Auto License for Dewey Carey was signed, all paperwork being in order.

      MOTION, moved by Julie Shively, seconded by Tom Hankinson: Motion: To move the Animal Control Officer position under the supervision of the Police Department. Vote: 3-0 in favor.
      Julie will talk to the Police Chief tomorrow about the change.
      .

      Pass: Aye: Julie Shively, Tom Hankinson, Melissa Colbert.

    • Wendell Agreement Update

      General Discussion...
      Wendell agreement update from chief Minckler: building work is progressing, they are framing, insulating, etc. The agreement is still not ready to be signed.

  6. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by Lisa Stratford

Minutes approved on Wednesday, Mar 2, 2022

Posted to: Select Board