Select Board

Tuesday, August 31, 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm
9 Montague Rd.
A meeting of the Select Board

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://www.gotomeet.me/townleverett/selectboard-meeting

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123

Access Code: 502-625-813

Join from a video-conferencing room or system.
Dial in or type: 67.217.95.2 or inroomlink.goto.com
Meeting ID: 502 625 813
Or dial directly: 502625813@67.217.95.2 or 67.217.95.2##502625813

***In person attendees at Select Board meetings are required to wear a mask. Thank you.

Meeting of Select Board

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Tom Hankinson, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Julie Shively, Chair, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Melissa Colbert, at 7:00 PM

Also Present:

  • Margie M.
  • Lisa S.
  • Shannon G.
  • Pat D.
  • Aaron B.
  • Isaiah R.
  • Matt B.
  • and George for the MR

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:00 PM

Meeting closed: 8:38 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. Appointments

    • 7:00: Pole Hearing for Richardson Rd.

      General Discussion...
      No representative from Eversource was present for the pole hearing, nor were any abutters. Lisa will call Eversource.

    • 7:15: Isaiah, ConCom agent vacancy

      General Discussion...
      Isaiah came in to ask for additional hours and a raise for the Conservation Commission Agent position. Tessa left in June and the ConCom has not been able to attract a qualified person since. They have advertised twice in the Montague Reporter and once in the Greenfield Recorder. There was also a notice on the town website. Isaiah expressed frustration that with the credentials requested the position was only paying $16.68/hour. He also felt that a minimum of 10 hours/week was required. Isaiah asked if the FRCOG had a shared ConCom Agent and they don’t, but Margie suggested adding it to Leverett’s DTLA requests. Margie reached out to other towns hoping to share an agent to make the hours more attractive but only heard from Wendell who has someone that works 6hours/week at $17.00/hour.
      Tom suggested tapping the biology and related departments at UMASS to see if an internship/coop of some sort was possible. Tom offered to call Ralph T. to see if he had contacts at UMASS.
      Lisa offered to help stem the workflow for the interim.

  3. Business

    • Approve re-precincting of Leverett as one precinct, sign single precinct authorization form

      MOTION, moved by Julie Shively, seconded by Tom Hankinson: Motion: To approve the re-precincting of Leverett as one precinct based on the 2020 Federal Census.
      Vote: 3-0 in favor. Single precinct authorization forms signed.
      .

      Pass: Aye: Julie Shively, Tom Hankinson, Melissa Colbert.

    • Clarify Vaccination Report

      General Discussion...
      Julie wanted to clarify and asked the MR to correct, that the COA Meal Site Coordinator is, in fact, vaccinated. At a previous meeting it was stated by a resident that she was not.

    • Grounds maintenance email

      General Discussion...
      A couple of complaints were received about the condition of the Town Buildings grounds. A quick review stated that the school is responsible for their plantings and maintenance, while the Highway Dept. does the mowing. The Highway Dept. also mows the Town Hall. The areas in question appear to be the gardens and areas around the buildings with flower and plants. Julie suggested planting low growing shrubs with bark mulch for easier maintenance. Pat D. thought about a CPA proposal to hire someone to plant pollinator and rain gardens. Again, requiring some maintenance.

    • Old Mountain Rd. update

      General Discussion...
      Margie updated the board on the Old Mountain Rd. complaint. She reviewed the complaint. Old Mountain Rd. is a discontinued county road and a dead end with hiking trails beyond. There have been issues with people parking in the road and disturbing the residents by turning around in their driveways/yards and trespassing. The solution seems to be to put up a no parking sign at the pile of gravel already there, another sign directing hikers to the Shutesbury Rd. access, and making a turn around if space permits. Margie will draft a letter to the Old Mountain Road residents stating such for Select Board input.

    • Reappoint Max Abramowitz to TS Attendant (as per Annette)

      MOTION, moved by Julie Shively, seconded by Tom Hankinson: Motion: To appoint Max Abramowitz to the position of Transfer Station Attendant as per Annette. Vote: 3-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Julie Shively, Tom Hankinson, Melissa Colbert.

    • Shared Police Services Update

      General Discussion...
      Julie announced that the information meeting concerning the shared police services with Wendell will be October 5 at 7:00 pm. Shannon G. expressed frustration that she felt she wasn’t privy to all the information concerning the change. Aaron B., echoed her concern citing the retrofitting of the Wendell Police Station as an example. It was explained that those changes were made with grant money, by Wendell and were separate from the shared services. It was suggested that the SJC members visit the Wendell website if they want to attend Wendell meetings. Julie explained as she had at previous meetings that components of the draft agreement, but that until the draft of the contract is released by the attorneys it is difficult to address specific concerns. Margie offered to meet with Shannon ahead of the meeting and offered that the SJC submit questions ahead of the meeting.

  4. Mail

    • Temporary leave of absence in Police Dept.

  5. Executive Session

    To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation if an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the bargaining or litigating position of the public body and the chair so declares. Select Board will reconvene in Open Session after the close of Executive Session.

  6. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes approved on Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021

Posted to: Select Board