Select Board Remote Meeting

Tuesday, March 30, 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm
Remote meeting
A meeting of the Select Board

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://www.gotomeet.me/townleverett/selectboard-meeting

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123

Access Code: 502-625-813

Join from a video-conferencing room or system.
Dial in or type: 67.217.95.2 or inroomlink.goto.com
Meeting ID: 502 625 813
Or dial directly: 502625813@67.217.95.2 or 67.217.95.2##502625813

Meeting of Select Board

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Tom Hankinson, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Julie Shively, Chair, at 7:00 PM

Also Present:

  • Present: Julie S.
  • Tom H.
  • Margie M.
  • Lisa S.
  • Becky T.
  • Aaron B.
  • Sofia B.
  • Shannon G.
  • Jed P.
  • Melissa C.
  • others by phone.

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:00 PM

Meeting closed: 12:53 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. Appointments

    • 7:00: Recreation Commission/Community Field

      General Discussion...
      The Recreation Commission came to the board to propose an article for Town Meeting stating that the field between the school and the library be kept open, as a community field for recreation only in perpetuity. After some discussion Julie suggested that the wording be changed to say that any permanent structures to be built in the field or changes in use have to go before town meeting for approval. Margie will help the Recreation Commission with wording.

  3. Business

    • Community Builders request for trash clean up

      General Discussion...
      The Community Builders asked the board to approve free disposal of trash picked up on the roadsides for their Earth Day initiative on April 24. The board agreed. Matt Boucher offered that the Highway Dept. could pick up bags of trash on the Monday after the event and bring them to the Transfer Station.

      MOTION, moved by Julie Shively, seconded by Tom Hankinson: Moved, seconded, Vote: 2-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Julie Shively, Tom Hankinson.

    • Deadline for Teawaddle releases back to Margie

      General Discussion...
      The deadline for residents to give Margie the release forms for work on their property for the Teawaddle Hill Rd. waterline is May 1.

    • Sign transfer request

      MOTION, moved by Julie Shively, seconded by Tom Hankinson: Motion: To sign the Reserve Fund Transfer Request from Margie for $2,000 for overages in the Town Counsel line item due the recent lawsuit. Vote: 2-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Julie Shively, Tom Hankinson.

    • Street lights project

      General Discussion...
      Margie updated the board on the street lights. Town Counsel had advised her that the Town will be taking on liability when it signs the generic agreement with Eversource to purchase street lights. Margie suggested that the town could create a revolving fund with the money saved from the purchase (about 50% or $1,500/year) to set aside in case of an unforeseen expense. The board agreed to go ahead.

    • Teawaddle project to Congressman McGovern

      General Discussion...
      The board approved a support letter to Congressman McGovern to include ethe Teawaddle Hill Rd. project for direct federal funding.

    • Two non-monetary town meeting articles

      General Discussion...
      An article with a new OPEB bylaw will not go on this town meeting warrant. Changes to Chapter 78, Dog Bylaws will.

    • Unsafe building complaint and special article request

      General Discussion...
      Julie received a complaint about 1 Dudleyville Rd. which is a condemned building on the Sawmill River. The owners are aware of the condition but have not done anything. Margie will ask the Building Inspector and the Board of Health to send letters to the owner.

  4. Other business

    • Appointments

      MOTION, moved by Julie Shively, seconded by Tom Hankinson: Motion: To appoint Tim Shores to the Tax Relief Committee. Vote: 2-0 in favor.
      Motion: To appoint Michael Katz as Animal Inspector. Vote: 2-0 in favor.
      Motion: To appoint Roberta Bryant as Animal Control Officer provided that she completes the ACO certification within 60 days. Vote: 2-0 in favor.
      .

      Pass: Aye: Julie Shively, Tom Hankinson.

    • Resident Request

      General Discussion...
      Lisa told the board that a resident suggested a Candidate’s Night. The board agreed to hold Candidate’s Night at their April 27 meeting. Lisa will notify candidates and post to website.

    • Town Meeting Child Care

      General Discussion...
      Jacob Laney attended the meeting to ask that the Select Board find approximately $500 for childcare to be provided at Town Meeting. The school has provided this service in the past, but has refused this year. Hopefully it can be done with volunteer teenagers who need community service hours. Liability questions then arise. Margie will reach out to insurance to see if they have concerns.

    • COVID update

      General Discussion...
      There will be an additional release of $181,000 in COVID money to the town. The board agreed to put the total amount toward the expense of the waterline. Margie will draft a memo to departments to let them know.

  5. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by Lisa Stratford

Minutes approved on Tuesday, Apr 27, 2021

Posted to: Select Board