Historical Commission Meeting

Monday, December 11, 2017, 6:00 pm until 7:30 pm
Town Hall
A meeting of the Historical Commission

Meeting of Historical Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Ann Tweedy, at 6:00 PM
  • Present: Betsy Douglas, at 6:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Mareneck, Chair, at 6:00 PM
  • Present: Edie Field, Honorary, at 6:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Lynton, at 6:00 PM
  • Present: Anne Schuyler, at 6:00 PM

Also Present:

  • Eva Gibavic

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 6:00 PM

Meeting closed: 8:10 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. 1. Update - Digital Archives Project & Cemeteries (SM, SL & EF)

    • Cemeteries - Cemetery Preservation Campaign/ Research/ Conservation (brief update) - Update: Heard from Massachusetts Historical Commission (MHC) regarding National Register designation for seven historic cemeteries submitted by UMASS grad students August 2017? - MHC – Mass. Preservation Project funding (MPPF) re cemetery preservation planning for Chestnut Hill/Mt. Hope? . - Update: Gravestone conservationist Tamara Conde’s assessment of Mt. Hope?

      General Discussion...
      - SM contact Andrew Young, Whole Tree re finishing pruning on Jackson Hill. Large pine on neighbors' property needs trimming or removal. CPC paid Whole Tree for this in 2015.
      - Decided not to apply for MPPF grant this year. Edie has applied with Tamara Conde for work on Chestnut Hill/Mt. Hope. Tamara did a thorough inventory gratis. Tamara advises us to see where we are with conservation after she works there this year. Commission unanimously agrees that CPC would not welcome an additional request for the same property this year.
      - There RE 80 FOOTSTONES TO COMPLETE CONSERVATION ON IN MOORE'S CORNER ($12,00).
      - CPC requestted Edie to solicit an additional bid on the Chestnut Hill/Mt. Hope conservation work. ($28,00). She will work on.

    • Digital Archives Project - - Baptist Church archives (brief update).

      General Discussion...
      - Baptist Archives include 20 books of minutes that begin in the 18th century.
      - Edie has presented preservation scanning idea; no decision yet. Some members have concern about public viewing of what they consider "private business".
      - SM offered to help Edie do a spreadsheet list that she could share with church governing board at their next meeting.

  3. 2. History related/ Cultural Event possibilities – (SR, EF, SM)

    • Schooling in Leverett - "Education in Leverett- Village Schools to Consolidation" Oral History Project.

      General Discussion...
      - Currently looking for transcription volunteers or methods. One person contacted from newsletter plea; new resident, works at Amherst College archives. EF's daughter has volunteered.
      - Edie has interviewed Bernice Glazier and taken notes of her school days memories.
      - We have conducted 10 interviews so far. They have all been insightful and heart-warming. More to come. Word is getting around and people are contacting us.
      - Now we need to start planning/preparing and advertizing the May/June presentation at Lev. Library Gallery.

    • SHRAB grant - SHRAB grant for activities related to veterans

      General Discussion...
      - Need to decide whether we should apply to do the whole process including fabrication/ installation of signs or whether planning and research are more realistic. Decided to ask Pleun, our SHRAB advisor, if she thinks a planning grant would fly.
      - SM contact landscape architect for site evaluations, research names and locations, signage ioptions, etc.. Proposals are due 1/16/18.

      1. 2018_Vet_application_final.pdf
  4. 3. Strategic Planning for Historical Assets Survey (AS, SL, SM)

    • ConComm OSP - Additions or corrections to the updated version of "Community, Section B - History".

    • Historical Assets Survey Questionnaire - HAS Questionnaire - - Strategies for engaging citizens in taking the survey: day @ Library? NL Coop? Door-to-door? Online? at Town Hall? Other?

      General Discussion...
      - SL submitted a request to CPC for $5,000 consultant expense for Historical Assets Survey analysis and reporting.
      - We need a banner for Town Common, Leverett Center
      - Contact churches re bulletins. Congregational Church has a newsletter. SM will contact Moores' Corner Church and Mt. Toby Friends Meeting SL will send script to use in calling or email solicitations.
      - So far we have high "open" rates and high "compliance". We want 300! (50% of households)
      - Press release after holidays
      - SL will provide a script to Margie for robo-call.
      - Do we need training for how to access the survey?

  5. LHC

    • Commission communication - Open meeting law

    • CPA Monitoring - Reporting on visits

    • Policies - Membership responsibilities? attendance?

  6. 5. LHS

    • Brief update of activities - - Brief update of activities - Meetings planned?

      General Discussion...
      - Arthur Chaffee, who now lives in Springfield, visited the Leverett Family Museum. (Not sure if he donated, or if there was a separate donation of several paintings by Roswell Field Putnam). Need to clarify with Edie.

  7. New Business

    • MHC - Not eligible this year for Survey & Planning grants; Could apply for MPPF. eligible to apply for SHRAB veterans grant. archaeological sites registered with state archaeologist

      General Discussion...
      - Marla Miller sent request for information on Joseph Bartlett. Eva sent her something. Do we need to follow up on this? Was he the first to build on Brushy Mtn.?
      - Would we want to consider a local historic district (makes us eligible for grant funding with MHC that we are not now sine we only have National REgister Districts (non-restrictive)).
      - Should we ask Mitch to request the state archaeologist to visit to see pre-European artifacts?

  8. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by SM

Minutes approved on Wednesday, Feb 7, 2018

Posted to: Historical Commission.