Conservation Commission Remote Meeting

Tuesday, January 26, 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm
A meeting of the Conservation Commission

Conservation Commission Meeting
Tue, Jan 26, 2021 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM (EST)

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/875719765

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (872) 240-3212

Access Code: 875-719-765

Meeting of Conservation Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Remote: Andrew Young, at 7:03 PM
  • Remote: David Powicki, at 7:03 PM
  • Remote: Isaiah Robison, Chair, at 7:03 PM
  • Remote: Ralph Tiner, at 7:03 PM
  • Remote: Jono Neiger, at 7:03 PM
  • Remote: Gail Berrigan, at 7:03 PM
  • Remote: Joan Deely, at 7:03 PM

Also Present:

  • Tessa Dowling Conservation Agent (submitting minutes)
  • Patricia Duffy

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:07 PM

Meeting closed: 7:46 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

    • Meeting Opened / Attendance Taken (see above).

    • No minutes to approve.

  2. Continued Public Hearing

    • 7:07: Discussion of letter of support for Kestrel Land Trust Robert Frost Trail Project grant application

      General Discussion...
      Berrigan reads out the letter in support of Robert Frost Trail maintenance for Kestrel Land Trust. The last paragraph of the letter is language directly requested by Kestrel Land Trust to affirm the town's permission of the work. Robison will sign the letter on behalf of the Commission. Dowling will add the town letterhead to the letter.

      MOTION, moved by Ralph Tiner, seconded by David Powicki: to approve the letter of support for Robert Frost Trail maintenance for Kestrel Land Trust that was drafted by Berrigan .

      Pass: Aye: Isaiah Robison, David Powicki, Ralph Tiner, Andrew Young, Gail Berrigan, Jono Neiger, Joan Deely.

  3. Administrative Matters

    • 7:42: Discussion/approval of funds ($100-200) to pay Woodsmith to clear 1-2 downed trees on town-owned pro

      General Discussion...
      Per Berrigan, generally volunteers cut the trees that are in the trail, but there are trees that are dangerous to remove and require a professional to remove. The Commission to pay the invoice from Gordon King Conservation Area Funds collected from blueberry pickers' donations.

      MOTION, moved by Gail Berrigan, seconded by Joan Deely: to accept the Woodsmith Forestry bid of $150 for trail tree removal .

      Pass: Aye: Isaiah Robison, David Powicki, Ralph Tiner, Andrew Young, Gail Berrigan, Jono Neiger, Joan Deely.

  4. Old Business

  5. New Business

  6. Other New Business not considered as of the date of this notice

    • 7:12: Town Newsletter NOI announcement

      General Discussion...
      Dowling screen-shared the notice drafted by Neiger. The Commission recommended changes indicating that the current Leverett Pond Weed Management Plan is part of an effort that has been going on for decades. Invasive species generally cannot be eradicated so species are managed.
      Concern is raised that weed removal is primarily in areas that would benefit recreation.
      The Commission decides that Neiger will post on Leverett Connects notifying the public that the notice about the Weed Management Plan can be found on the Commission webpage and will be in the town newsletter. Dowling will send the notice to the Town Clerk and post the notice on the Commission webpage.
      The public will have time to comment about the project because the hearing will likely be continued past the February meeting due to waiting on new data and information from the Friends of Leverett Pond.

      MOTION, moved by Joan Deely, seconded by David Powicki: to approve the town newsletter notice drafted by Neiger regarding the Friends of Leverett Pond Weed Management project with the edits discussed at the meeting and with Dowling adding the Commission webpage link .

      Pass: Aye: Isaiah Robison, David Powicki, Ralph Tiner, Andrew Young, Gail Berrigan, Jono Neiger, Joan Deely.

    • 7:32: Remote Meeting Issues

      General Discussion...
      Concerns were raised that Robison, as Chair, is calling into the remote meetings and therefore cannot see who is speaking or who would like to speak. Robison said he discussed this with Powicki. Powicki is willing to act as moderator during the meetings if there are no objects from other Commission members. The discussions can be focused and issues can be organized. Dowling states that the chat function has been disabled so the issue of people writing in the chat and not hearing a response will not occur again. Dowling and Robison will talk before meetings to organize and plan the meeting agenda.

    • 7:44: Conservation Commission Bequest

      General Discussion...
      The Commission requests that Dowling ask the Town Clerk if there are any special conditions in how a bequest given to the Commission by John Vansteenberg in 2019 can be used.

  7. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes approved on Monday, Feb 8, 2021

Posted to: Conservation Commission