Historical Commission meeting

Monday, June 12, 2017, 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm
Town Hall
A meeting of the Historical Commission

Meeting of Historical Commission

Members: (No Quorum)

  • Absent: Ann Tweedy
  • Absent: Betsy Douglas
  • Absent: Sara Robinson
  • Absent: Carole Desanti
  • Absent: Susan Lynton
  • Absent: Anne Schuyler
  • Present: Susan Mareneck, Chair, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Edie Field, Honorary, at 7:00 PM

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:00 PM

Meeting closed: 11:33 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

    • Meeting Opened / Attendance Taken (see above).

    • No minutes to approve.

  2. Update - Digital Archives Project & Cemeteries (SM, SL & EF)

    • Cemetery Preservation Campaign (EDDM)

      General Discussion...
      SM spoke with Julie Shively, treasurer of LHS regarding instituting Paypal on LHS website for online giving. Julie will talk with Ruth West about what is needed to make it happen. Edie agrees as long as she does not have to manage it.

    • Cemetery research UMASS 2 grad. students (Nolan Cool, Austin Clark)

      General Discussion...
      The six Form E submissions by AC/NC this spring will be entered into MACRIS, but we must request consideration for National Register designation from Betsy Freidberg @ MHC. Also, according to Michael Steinitz, a MA Preservation Planning grant is unlikely for all 12 cemeteries. They have been given to individual cemeteries in the past. Susan referred to Ross Dekle @ MHC to discuss possibilities. They have not spoken yet.

    • MHC - New information from MHC on cemetery preservation planning; update needed on Long Plain/ Hillsboro

      General Discussion...
      Two new issues surfaced: Long Plain will need to have Form E updated with current photos, research, etc. since LHS inventory was done in 1991; MHC requested. Edie believes the last Field burial in Long Plain was 1987. She is planning to do some cleaning there this summer. She may talk to Silas about bringing some water to the site; possibly Bob Sieruta?

      Nolan Cool is willing to work on updating Form E during July if Leverett Cemetery Assoc. and/or Historical Society can fund. SM to find out how much time/ what he thinks it would cost.

      It may be that during the strategic planning we will decide to begin seeking MPPF grant for "Pre-development planning" for the burial grounds that are already eligible due their inclusion in one of the NR Historic Districts (East Leverett, Moore's Corner, Jackson Hill, Mt. Hope/Chestnut Hill or Marvel).

  3. History related/ Cultural Event possibilities – (SR, EF, SM)

    • - - “Education in Leverett…”; Oral History crash course 1. Summer meeting needed? (After 6/21/) - “Igniting a Passion for History”, statewide history conference, 6/12/17, Holy Cross.

      General Discussion...
      Awaiting MAHumanities response to "Education in Leverett..." proposal. Whether or not it is funded, we are considering ways to make it sync with the Historical Assets Strategic Plan outreach (interviews with local elders about their school memories/experience while also soliciting preservation priorities).

  4. Strategic Planning for Historical Assets Survey (SL, AS, BD, EF, EG)

    • - - Town-wide Historical Assets Strategic Planning initiative; possible funding through MHC “Survey & Planning grants.

      General Discussion...
      SM to talk to Chris Skelly at MHC regarding "Survey & Planning grants" funding. We might be required to employ a consultant. We might want to prioritize first? What to do about Town CPA application for Field Library restoration? Edie reports that John Kusek came by with a preservation consultant; LHC was not informed. Is there a report from this visit? SM will look for John K. email or to Margie to inquire. LHC write a letter to Select Board regarding strategic planning initiative - decisions such as this should happen in a context of other preservation needs. CPC reasons for not bringing to Town Meeting this year were, according to Edie's memory (document not in our hands at this meeting) need to consider future use of the building and issue of "preservation vs. maintenance", also lack of cohesive support in community for application.

      Edie would like to try to gather LHS members during the summer to converse about future planning.

  5. LHC Yearly Preservation Restriction Monitoring

    • Preservation Restrictions/ Monitoring (Historic New England “leading locally” workshop, Stockbridge - Scheduling dates to visit local CPA funded sites.

      General Discussion...
      SM learned that Town cannot hold its own Preservation Restriction. Conversation with Julie Shively, SB member and LHS treasurer regarding LHS (rather than LHC oversight) holding restriction on Town Garage, for instance. SM learned that we are not the only town in this situation.

      SM learned that it might be good to do monitoring at different seasons.

  6. LHS

    • Update - CPA proposal to renovate the Family Museum (Field Library)

      General Discussion...
      Open hours through the summer: by appointment or when "open sign" is out and 2nd/ 4th Saturdays, June/July/August 2017. Discussion about the renaming of the Leverett Family Museum, Edie was thinking of "Leverett History Museum", but LHS also has the "Moore's Corner School House Museum" which holds much "Leverett History". More discussion needed; probably at a meeting of LHS members.

  7. New Business – Next meeting date – (2nd Monday of June is 6/12) (All)

    • Next meeting - July 3, 2017. New business: Leverett's 250th in 2024? Query local vets re Memorial Day event?

  8. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes approved on Wednesday, Sep 6, 2017

Leverett Historical Commission 2017-06-12 Minutes (2017-07-03 at 11:38 AM)

Posted to: Historical Commission