Select Board

Tuesday, September 3, 2019, 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm
Town Hall, 9 Montague Rd
A meeting of the Selectboard

Meeting of Selectboard

Members: (Quorum)

  • Absent: Peter d'Errico, Chair
  • Present: Tom Hankinson, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Julie Shively, at 7:00 PM

Also Present:

  • Margie M.
  • Lisa S.
  • Brian C.
  • Rob for the MR

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:00 PM

Meeting closed: 8:55 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. Appointments

    • Appoint new Police Officer

      General Discussion...
      Scott Minckler, Police Chief
      Scott came in with Jill Bancroft to recommend her for a full-time position on the department.

      MOTION, moved by Tom Hankinson, seconded by Julie Shively: Motion: To appoint Jill Bancroft to a full-time patrol officer pending physical, psychological testing, and completion of the full-time academy. Part-time rate to be paid until completion of academy. Vote: 2-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Tom Hankinson, Julie Shively, Peter d'Errico.

    • 7:00-8:00: Highway Supt. Interviews

      General Discussion...
      Also present from the screening committee for Highway Supt.: Gordon F., Scott M., John I., Will S., Jen R., and Isaiah R.

      The two finalists for Highway Supt., George Emery at 7:00 pm and Matthew Boucher at 7:30 pm were interviewed. Tom and Julie interviewed them taking turns asking questions. When interviews were done they solicited comments from the hiring committee. Both candidates interviewed well and Tom and Julie needed time to think about them in the role of highway superintendent before making a decision. They will meet on Friday, September 6, 8:30 am for a vote.

  3. Business

    • Approve minutes of August 20, 2019

      General Discussion...
      The minutes of August 20 were approved as written.

    • Award gas/diesel bid

      MOTION, moved by Tom Hankinson, seconded by Julie Shively: Motion: To award the gas/diesel bid to Roberts Energy, diesel fixed at $2.37 which includes taxes and a markup of .16, gas variable. Vote: 2-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Tom Hankinson, Julie Shively, Peter d'Errico.

    • Discuss FY19 invoices for FCSWMD

      General Discussion...
      Margie informed the board that there are outstanding bill for the Transfer Station totaling about $3,000 for FY 19. It is unclear if FCSWMD got them to Annette in time for her to pay them. The board decided to put them on the ATM warrant as bills of prior year. Adjustments to the fee schedule at the Transfer Station may also need to be made as they are not getting as much money back from recycling.

  4. New Business

    • Harvest Festival Date Change

      General Discussion...
      The school requested that the date for the Harvest Festival be changed. It was always the weekend after “Colombus” Day. For years there has been some confusion about whose function the Harvest Festival is, town or school. But, besides the Fire Department, few town departments participate. The Board thought a date change would be fine (so did the Fire Chief, who was present). Margie will do a town-wide CTY to announce the change since its new Oct. 5 date will miss the Oct. 1 newsletter.

    • Box container complaint

      General Discussion...
      There have been many complaints about a box-truck container parked close to the road in a residential neighborhood on Dudleyville Rd. The matter has been passed on to the Planning Board and the Zoning Enforcer.

    • Illegal Download

      General Discussion...
      Margie received certified mail from Otelco stating that someone engaged in illegal downloading on Aug. 20, 2019 around 5 pm at the Town Hall. There is no way to know who it was but the recommendation to slow down the public wi-fi at Town Hall and block the site, bittorrent, will be implemented.

    • Highway Dept. Request - Will Stratford suggested to Margie the Town advertise for a temporary full-time laborer for the Highway Department until the employee on medical leave returns. The board agreed.

  5. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by Lisa Stratford

Minutes approved on Thursday, Oct 3, 2019

Posted to: Select Board.